New .357 - buttplate too big

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
armymutt

New .357 - buttplate too big

Post by armymutt »

Bought another 92 today. Having a baby in July and I figure it's going to need a small rifle that can take NC deer someday. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Anyway, the buttplate on it is proud on both sides, as well as the bottom. On the top, it also sticks out a bit - no real smooth transition from wood to metal like my other rifles. Anyone one encountered this? I'm thinking about looking for a smith in my area to remove the metal to make it flush and then re-blue it.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: New .357 - buttplate too big

Post by akuser47 »

I have seen this on on shelf blued 16" 92 carbines in a shop local to me. I think it could be shaped to correct it but the blueing would need to be redone a simple touchup pen will not work in this case. Maybe some cold blue but if you can hot blue it you will get the rich nice blueing. If it was satinless I would get my dremel out and go to town as it could be polished afterwards no prob. Please keep us posted sorry to hear you got wood metal fitment issues. +corn
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
huckleberg

Post by huckleberg »

I like big buttplates and I cannot lie ... You other brothers can't deny ... :twisted:
Nathing32

Post by Nathing32 »

:lol: +1
armymutt

Post by armymutt »

Called Rossi just now. Goign to ship the rifle back to them for repair. Turn around time is 4-6 weeks. :cry: Oh well, I have 3 others to keep me busy. Besides, this one is for the kid anyway, and it's not due until almost Aug.