Side sling on a '92 - Part 1

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
outsidebear

Side sling on a '92 - Part 1

Post by outsidebear »

Rossi '92 side slong .357 001.JPG
The above is an older Rossi 20" carbine in .357 magnum.

I've posted some of this on another web site but figured should post it in the Rossi Forum, seeing as how I use a few Rossi '92s! Not saying this is for everyone, it's just another way to have fun with our Rossi's and it's very practical in the field.

For years have wanted a Winchester Model 1894 SRC ordered by the French for use in the Belgian Congo, of which a batch of about 200 were made in 1913. Collectable n' usually pricey. So finally made my own version using an early Rossi Model '92 SRC. While visiting a friend's shop, was allowed the use of a milling machine, for inletting the wood. Mauser style butt swivels were used, modifying the front swivel by cutting off the rear screw hole/reshaping the metal. NOTE: the forearm wood is of two elevations: lower wood where the barrel band slides on; higher on the main forearm wood. When cutting/shaping the rear of the butt swivel, metal up close to the loop ring will be the same elevation as the main forearm wood - meaning it will be level with the wood surface. The factory front metal (with screw hole that goes underneath the barrel band) will be the same level as the front forearm wood. All comes out with a clean installation.

Why go to the trouble? For the comfort of carrying the carbine over the left shoulder, barrel down (some call this the African Carry). The carbine lays flat against the left side of your back (when slung over the left shoulder, for a right hand shooter), or will lay flat across you back if you choose to go galloping across the plains with it slung angled across you back, or carried in this position when riding a 4-wheeler (they eat less hay) or a snow machine in winter.

With the carbine slung over your left should, barrel down, your left hand naturally comes to rest holding the forearm tip/magazine-barrel area. When you want to take a shot, merely bring your left hand up n' outwards while twisting the carbine, and you'll find this places/presents the carbine to your right hand and seems to jump right onto your right shoulder. You really need to experience this method to truly appreciate how handy n' comfortable it is. Over 8 million Mauser rifles had a reason for slinging a rifle this way, ya think?

Since having mounted the side sling on this .357 SRC have duplicated the mounting on a Rossi .45 Colt SRC; one Model 1894 .38-55 (someone's re-bore from a Post-64 Model 94 .30-30 - cant' hurt any collectable status on that one!!); and two Ruger #3 carbines.

This was my first attempt at doing a side sling installation like the Belgian Congo carbines from long ago.
I've since come up with an improved method, which will follow in another Post.

Hope you enjoy this post, it's been a fun and most rewarding experience.
best of regards to all, outsidebear
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Side sling on a '92 - Part 1

Post by Ranch Dog »

Welcome to the forum! Very interesting set up, I like it!

Just out of curiosity, do you know what cartridge the Congo bound 94s where chambered in?
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:Welcome to the forum! Very interesting set up, I like it!

Just out of curiosity, do you know what cartridge the Congo bound 94s where chambered in?
30 WCF or 30-30 Winchester
Known as the Belgian Congo carbine, it is estimated that approximately 200 of these carbines with ordered from Winchester in 1913 to outfit the Belgian forces in the Congo. Pinned blade and graduated ladder rear sights with full magazine, two barrel bands, and saddle ring staple and ring on the left side of receiver. Barrel has the standard Winchester address/patent dates, nickel steel and caliber marking on the left rear with the addition of the number "1240", "SUHL" and proofs including an "eagle/N" stamped between the nickel steel and caliber markings. Additional "eagle/N" proofs are stamped on the bolt and top of receiver. Smooth forearm and straight grip stock with side mounted sling swivels and crescent buttplate.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
outsidebear

Post by outsidebear »

Yes, .30 WCF was the chambering for the carbines. I believe they were for use with guarding gold/diamond mines or penal colony prisoners, something like that. Entering Winchester Belgian Congo carbine in an internet search will provide some more information.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Yup, the old Winchester 94 rifle & 30 WCF cartridge did do some military service which is totally not surprising for an American gun & cartridge.
The 94/30 WCF combo might not have won the American west but it certainly played a part in winning the Congo. :mrgreen:
I have a special affection for my old Winchester 94s especially Grampas old gun which has shot numerous deer & moose to feed past and current members of our family. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
SD3

Post by SD3 »

Thank you for taking time to post this great sling option. I've been inteested in the so-called "African carry" option for my 92, but I'm not sure I could replicate the very nice sling job you did on yours.

Wondering if anyone conidered a non-invasive, no-drill sling option like the 'Bayou Gun Sling' <http://bayougunsmith.com/> ? I've never tried one, but it appears that it might be a viable sling option for ~$50.

Thoughts?

"We don't rent pigs" -Augustus McCrae
MuckyPup

Post by MuckyPup »

I like the idea of that sling. I didn't think that highly of my rossi :-\ . Figured it'd be a work gun and just drilled it. I guess I might regret it in 50 to 70 years. :-)
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

I made a sling that works with butt stock installed side loops and receiver installed saddle rings outta 2 leather carry straps from discarded computer carry cases.
Recycle & re-use ...... doesn't require a Stephen Hawking IQ to give the wallet flaps & credit cards a rest & use materials at hand in & around the home especially if the materials are headed for the dumpster.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA