gas checks on commercial bullets

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
huckleberg

gas checks on commercial bullets

Post by huckleberg »

i am working on developing a .38 special load (hot) using soft commercial LWSWC-HP bullets. i would prefer to use a gas-check to prevent leading, however i am not sure how this works ...

do i need a special tool to seat the GC on the bullet base, or do i just kinda mash them together before doing the bullet seating step of loading? any pointers appreciated ...
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: gas checks on commercial bullets

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

I install my gas checks when I resize the bullets. The only one I do not use gas checks on is my 10 mm glock. My understanding is unless you are running over 1400 fps there is no real benefit to using gas checks. Most folks will say leading begins at anything over 1400 fps. I may be wrong and there are some folks here who are much more versed when it come to this. I have been casting bullets for over 25 years. Unless I have a leading issue I don't use gas checks.

What are you shooting these rounds through? Pistol or rifle? With the longer barrel your fps will increase. Even in a rifle I am not sure you will reach those kinds of speeds with a 38 spl unless they are hotter than a firecracker..... :lol: .

Commercial bullets will already be sized. I personally don't see why you can't run them through a Lee resize die and install gas checks. But since they already sized the checks may not hold on the best. May be worth the try but if it were me I would take a hard look at casting your own just a bit oversized and installing the gas checks when you run them through the resize die.

Not sure I have welcomed you to the family..... if I did not welcome aboard!! pull up a stump and join in...
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

huckleberg

Post by huckleberg »

Tuco Ramirez wrote:I install my gas checks when I resize the bullets. What are you shooting these rounds through? Commercial bullets will already be sized. I personally don't see why you can't run them through a Lee resize die and install gas checks.
Thanks for the warm welcome!!

I have never loaded with anything but commercial plated or jacketed bullets ... I need to learn what a resizing die is used for :oops:

What I am roughly trying to do is approximate the buffalo bore .38 +P 158gr LSWC-HP from Buffalo Bore to use in a revolver.
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

Ask and ye shall receive my new friend.... I assume you are looking to duplicate the BB FBI load? Now I know why a gas check is needed because the lead they are using is only 5-BHN. I have tooth paste harder than that... :lol:

Here are the bullets with gas checks already installed.
http://www.rimrockbullets.net/catalog/i ... ucts_id=41

Now here is what I believe you are looking for.
http://smith-wessonforum.com/reloading/ ... -load.html

For the cheaper version of this bullet the gentleman listed below ownes TVB. From what I have read the website is off line more than it is up. A lot of folks say he is a stand up guy and makes one heck of a product. The best way to see if he is still in business is send him an email.
For queries, contact Jessie Clark via Email tnvalleybullets@dishmail.net

donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

5 bhn, that is soft. Do you really need a bullet that soft?

IF you decide to go ahead with adding a gas check to a standard bullet, you could go with a plain base gas check. I got some good ones from Sage outdoors, on eBay. They are aluminum and go on really easy, and with a bullet that soft, it would be super easy. BUT you will still have to use a sizer to do it.

As you will learn, if you continue with this, dealing with plain lead brings on a whole other set of skills.
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
huckleberg

Post by huckleberg »

Tuco Ramirez wrote:Here are the bullets with gas checks already installed.
http://www.rimrockbullets.net/catalog/i ... ucts_id=41

Now here is what I believe you are looking for.
http://smith-wessonforum.com/reloading/ ... -load.html

Thanks, Tuco ... I am just trying to be a cheapskate here ... I have a source for cheaper LSWC-HP but not sure how to put a GC on them ... I will look into the other bullets you mentioned for sure. I cannot for the life of me find any power pistol powder either (several folks are using that to copy the BB load).
huckleberg

Post by huckleberg »

donhuff wrote:5 bhn, that is soft. Do you really need a bullet that soft?
the theory is that if it is that soft it will deform even at low velocity (for defensive purposes) while also being unlikely to overpenetrate (if, for ex, you live in a townhome with shared walls like me). there are plenty of negatives as well, but that load has a following among defensive carry/home defense users.
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

OK, I got you now.

Have you ever seen one of the fired hollow base wad cutters that was loaded upside down ? Talk about expansion!!! I'm gonna have to do this again one day, as I keep mentioning it and a bunch of the younger reloaders have probably never heard of it much less seen one. It does not penetrate and SHOULD be a good stopper, but that subject is soooooo relative to the conditions.

For instance. Back in the mid eighties, I had an employee that did not show upone Monday. Story was that while drunk and toting a sawed off double barreled shotgun, he went into a bar looking for someone. The bartender did not wait for him to find the guy and pulled out a 38 and hit him with all six shots. That really pizzed Johnny off! He went to the bartender and told him....I'll be back after a while. He left and got three blocks down the street before collapsing. I also use to know a guy that had been shot 13 times :o Wen he was showing me all the holes, he pointed to three of them that he did himself ! Another employee did not show up but it was cause he had shot his wife the night before. One shot from a 32 to the head! They had an argument and he did it while she was asleep, pressed the barrel to her head. Stopping power is all so relative.
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

huckleberg wrote: Thanks, Tuco ... I am just trying to be a cheapskate here ... I have a source for cheaper LSWC-HP but not sure how to put a GC on them ... I will look into the other bullets you mentioned for sure. I cannot for the life of me find any power pistol powder either (several folks are using that to copy the BB load).
This may help give you an idea of one way to install the checks. This is the method I use, and I use Lee products.

What are the specifics on the cheaper bullets you want to use, like size and BHN? Are they even gas check bullets or flat base?

For powder here is what I do. You use gunbot to search for componets. When you are on the gunbot page push the Ctrl and (F) keys on your keyboard. You will see a search box drop down toward the top of the page. Type in what you are looking for and it will highlight that search term where ever it is found on the page. With the current state of things in this country you better be prepared to buy as soon as you find it. Most time it will be gone within hours. Check this site everyday if you can. Heck when I need powder I check it several times a day... :lol:

http://www.gunbot.net/reloading/Powder/

Hope this helps!! I just purchased some powder over the weekend. From what I am reading across the web things are only going to get worse now that our President has a pen and phone....