Primer heads pop off

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Primer heads pop off

Post by Archer »

akuser47 wrote:I was gonna say the same thing radway green brass in 5.56 I had was sealed and crimped and it was a pain to deprime them. I have been sealing my .308 long distance plan loads for a while now at the primer and I wonder now if this will be an issue later LoL I hope not. I use markon custom bullet sealer It looks like nail polish slightly blue/pink for when I was doing shoots in all sorts of weather so that my ammo could get wet no problem. I have close to 80 shells still needing to be neck sized then I will know at some point I will be back home again and will see how they do as it was 5 years ago since I loaded and shot them.
I've decapped thousands of military .30-06 with sealed in primers without any problems except the aforementioned crimps holding a couple primers hard enough to punch through the cup. Samo with .308 except I can't remember punching through any primer cups.

In general I don't think you need to seal the primers unless you are planning on possibly submersion the ammo for longer or deeper than I expect you will ever run into outside of wading/swimming through the swamp with it in your pockets.

Tuco Ramirez wrote:
Archer wrote:I've punched through a couple military crimped in place primers. Managed to get all of them out anyway but one. Never had the bottom of the primer cup separate.
Yea I have had this happen before. Had a few that just went in the trash can.....
Got the one that I've had problems with waiting for me to grind down the exposed primer cup and then slit the case mouth to determine exactly where the lands are on several .30-06s. Plan is to use the shortest for my generic ammo and the individual number for specific tailored ammo assuming it isn't so long it won't function through the actions.

Need to do that with the .308s and .243 as well.