Rear sight Rossi 92

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Rear sight Rossi 92

Post by Ranch Dog »

vtoran wrote:I mean something like http://www.aliexpress.com/item/QD-Rear- ... 95717.html or http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/si ... yle_1=Peep Sights , but more compact and ergonomic and fitting the bolt. I have the idea how it should be, but I think, I have to construct it myself.
Yeah, you will need to figure out that one.
Michael
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

I would just put a scope on it and be done.... :lol:
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

vtoran

Post by vtoran »

There is no need to have a scope shooting at 100 m, and the scope will make the rifle 1 kg heavier.
johnreilly

Post by johnreilly »

What about the receiver sight made by XS? It requires two holes to be drilled and tapped and removal of the Bolt Mounted Safety (If your rifle has this safety). I haven't used it myself, but I do use other XS sights on my Marlins with really good results.

pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

vtoran wrote:There is no need to have a scope shooting at 100 m, and the scope will make the rifle 1 kg heavier.
+1
I agree but it only holds true as long as the old peepers Image continue co-operating.
At 60+ (just passed my fifth 59th birthday :mrgreen: ) I've been lucky & can still hold my own at the range with iron sights in shooting matches with the yung uns.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

johnreilly wrote:What about the receiver sight made by XS? It requires two holes to be drilled and tapped and removal of the Bolt Mounted Safety (If your rifle has this safety). I haven't used it myself, but I do use other XS sights on my Marlins with really good results.

I love the X/S sighting system ..........use an X/S as back-up irons on my blue Guide Gun.
I also have fallen in love with the pre-safety 92 in the photo........what a piece of eye candy. :mrgreen:

**If that's a post safety Rossi 92 somebody has done a heck of a fine job of removing the bolt safety and that know how needs to be shared. +corn
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
johnreilly

Post by johnreilly »

pricedo wrote:
johnreilly wrote:What about the receiver sight made by XS? It requires two holes to be drilled and tapped and removal of the Bolt Mounted Safety (If your rifle has this safety). I haven't used it myself, but I do use other XS sights on my Marlins with really good results.

I love the X/S sighting system ..........use an X/S as back-up irons on my blue Guide Gun.
I also have fallen in love with the pre-safety 92 in the photo........what a piece of eye candy. :mrgreen:

I don't think it's a pre-safety rifle. If you look closely at the top of the bolt you can make out the "F" marking from the safety. I believe someone removed the safety apparatus and filled the hole.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

johnreilly wrote:
pricedo wrote:

I don't think it's a pre-safety rifle. If you look closely at the top of the bolt you can make out the "F" marking from the safety. I believe someone removed the safety apparatus and filled the hole.
I've only seen a couple of post-safety Rossi 92s where the job was done in a professional manner by a welder/machinist/gunsmith who has done work for me in the past. You couldn't tell that here had ever been a safety on the gun. The guy is in his late 60s and has since retired due to arthritic fingers. Any kind of welding near the pressure bearing components of a gun needs to be done by someone who knows exactly what they're doing or you risk destroying the temper and strength of the part.

I thought the Steve's Gunz aperture sight stuck in the hole with the red "F" & green "S" still conspicuous looked very amateurish and if I had a R92 (which I don't) I would have left the safety on the gun if the SG sight was the only option.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

Personally, I don't care what it looks like as long as it works. I don't own any show-piece firearms, and have no desire to. I want them to be functional - for ME. If they have a wear spot, or scratch, I just consider that a character mark, as long as they came by the blemish for good reason. Even the less than stellar wood to metal fit/finish doesn't bother me as long as the gun does what I want, and it can be properly maintained in that condition. I've dove hunted with some pretty nice guns over the years that never really "fit" (right shoulder issues), and I didn't have the financial resources to have the custom work done .... a few years ago I picked up an inexpensive Mossy 500 "Bantam" 20 ga and my kill ratio went up 30% the first season. That cheaply finished Mossy did for me what quite a few semi-auto's, SxS and O/U guns didn't do. Granted the shortened platform/lop was what made the difference (due to shoulder issues), but that cheap, poorly finished Mossy is now my #1 gun for the West Texas dove hunts every year.

I'm not into superficial.

JMO

surv
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!