Ejector/Bolt Issue

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: Ejector/Bolt Issue

Post by donhuff »

JD,

I'll try to get some pics posted of how my parts fit, maybe on Monday. Hard to do much with the wife here on the weekend, as I cant stop staring at her..........heavy breathing...........

Yeah, the ejectors in all my 92s look like they were thrown overboard by Chris when he came over on the Nina Pinta and the Santa Maria.
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

donhuff wrote:JD,

I'll try to get some pics posted of how my parts fit, maybe on Monday. Hard to do much with the wife here on the weekend, as I cant stop staring at her..........heavy breathing...........

Yeah, the ejectors in all my 92s look like they were thrown overboard by Chris when he came over on the Nina Pinta and the Santa Maria.

:D
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
silvertip

Post by silvertip »

mr surveyor wrote: ...Or, possibly the "hook" that's pinned to the frame is out of spec?...
I don't know if it just the angles of the photos or some optical illusion, but the hook on my stripped bolt does not seem as far away from the bottom of my bolt as does yours. Look at the attached picture and see what you think.Image
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

Silvertip

Your's does appear to be a bit tighter in towards the bolt, but like you said, camera angle and light make a lot of difference.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

Here's mine. see how close the stem of the ejector is to the hook.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
Caribouriver

Post by Caribouriver »

Newbie here. I just picked up a 92 in .44 two days ago. I can sort of sympathize with the feeding issues you describe. I'm waiting for Steve's spring and video to arrive. In the meantime, I tried cycling some A-zoom snap caps. The first dozen cycled fine. Extracted and ejected as predictably as my 336. Then trouble started.
1. After loading, it would need to be cycled twice to chamber.
2. Then it stopped extracting and the snap cap would only partially extract.
3. If it did extract, it would not eject.

All this happened straight out of the box. I had intended to wait until I have Steve's video and take it apart, clean it and install his spring. Is there anything I should be on the lookout for? To be honest, I'm kind of bummed to have issues straight out of the box. Is this typical? Would it be a better idea just to send it back to FL before I start to monkey around with it??

Thanks for your help.
ironhead7544
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by ironhead7544 »

The parts also look normal to me.

I use the dummy round method. Put the parts together and put the dummy round in place. Place it in the receiver until the brass just enters the chamber. Then look into the receiver. You will see where the lever needs to go. I put a little grease on the part of the lever that bears against the collar. Then slip in the lever and push the bolt all the way forward. It is normal for the lever to have spring pressure on it from the collar. When assembled, the lever compresses the spring a lot more when it pushes the bolt to the rear. With the bolt all the way forward, you will have to jiggle the parts a little to get them to line up for the bolt pin. After you have done it a few times it will get easier. With the Steves spring, you have to change the process a little. When assembling the collar, put the spring up against the hook with the collar on top. The Steves spring is longer and needs to be back so that you can get the lever in place.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

rather than start a new thread, I thought I would just add to this one. My little bit of trimming and smoothing the "wings" on the ejector, as well as getting the collar to stay hooked, made all the difference in the world. In the process of getting that working, I also had to do a bit of smoothing on the lower tang rail/interface as it appeared to have been whittled with a chisel and smoothed with a file. Dis-assemble/re-assembly is a breeze now. Today was another beautiful day to be out at the range, except for the same 15-30 mph winds we've had for the last week+, which would be somewhat non-productive for load testing. So, I picked up the Rossi and racked it a time or two, even though I've been cycling my batch of dummy rounds through it steadily for the last week, and noticed another hitch in the get-a-long. The cartridge lifter seemed to need a bit of extra umph to get it fully in place. Well, I immediately dug out a screw driver, my spring retaining tool (the shank from a crappie hook) and my bolt pin punch (a piece of extremely stiff bronze wire from a tripod plumb bob hanger), and went to work. I did not remove the lifter in my first tune up session, but it's about the easiest part of disassembly that can be done .... as I found today. There were burrs and boogers on the mating surfaces (at the hinge points) that really needed some attention. A bit of mild file work and 400-1200 paper and it went back in. What a difference.

I guess next will be an issue with the bolt carriers :roll: . Naahhh, I ain't gonna even worry about that since the bolt glides perfectly as it is. If it ain't broke, I ain't gonna attempt to fix it.

I think I'm getting real close to having a gun that I'm willing to spend more money on playing "dress-up". Guns are really the answer for Big Boy Barbie Dolls anyway, aren't they?