empty hole on right side

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Caribouriver

empty hole on right side

Post by Caribouriver »

Hello. Old newbie here with some Rossi problems.
1. I took off the barrel band to drill and tap for a sling swivel stud. I had a good fitting screwdriver but it was a bear to get off but with a little Kroil oil, it did. I looked at the threads. They were all shiny like it had been cross threaded. It would NOT screw back together. I put the screw through the threaded side from the outside to "chase" the threads. That worked but but the screw would still not engage from the proper side. Rossi is going to send me a new forearm tip screw. Oh well.
2. This rifle will extract but not eject snap caps. Rossi said to try it with live ammo at the range and see what happens. If it still doesn't eject, to send it back to Miami. Good idea/bad idea?
3.I took off the rear stock and cleaned the heck out of it with GunScrubber. Then blew it out with compressed air. Then washed it down with Kroil oil. More air, wipe down and a light coating of EWL. When I put the stock back on and was wiping it down, I noticed that on the loading gate side, the top hole was empty. It's a small hole and not countersunk like the others. My eyes can't make out if it's tapped or not. It looks like it might go through the right cartridge guide and may be part #49 "cartridge guide screws". Is this a missing part on my rifle or normal to an empty hole?

Thanks
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: empty hole on right side

Post by akuser47 »

The barrel band fit is QC issue with rossi you only need to relieve the barrel recess in which the screw rests when together then you will be able to put her together no problem. The hole on the gate side is a punch hole for removeing the bolt pin. I think I have the lingo down. As for ejection problems cycle it 500 times or more not dry firing but still thumb drop hammer each time to help break her in. after you do this use non chlorinated break cleaner remove rear stock and flush the action again and test her out to see if she is better. keep us posted
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Greetings Caribouriver and welcome to the forum.

It looks like AK kit on all three but I thought I would give you a link that documents the work for relieving the barrel for a proper fit. On this point, I doubt that Rossi would properly cure the issue. Rather, they would simply torque the hell out of the barrel again.

R92 Forearm vs. Band Fit
Michael
Caribouriver

Post by Caribouriver »

Yikes! What did I do??? Thanks everyone. It looks like I fell into a common pit. Why wouldn't a slightly longer screw solve the problem and not require compressing the band?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Caribouriver wrote:Yikes! What did I do??? Thanks everyone. It looks like I fell into a common pit. Why wouldn't a slightly longer screw solve the problem and not require compressing the band?
Well if you look at it the screw length has nothing to do with it. The lower radius of the barrel is in the way.

Hey, we just own them, we didn't design it. It is like they missed the mark when they set up the tooling and simply said, "oh well". They got it right on the Rio Grande but have never corrected this step in the manufacturing process for the R92. If Braztech corrected the forearm band fit and put lighter springs in the rifles, they would eliminate a huge amount of the issues that the design experiences.
Michael
Caribouriver

Post by Caribouriver »

Roger that Ranch and akuser. Thanks again. So, if I understand what you're saying, the holes in the band do not align perfectly with the hole in the barrel. It sounds like that as the screw (bolt?) goes from one side to the other of the band, the barrel half hole is not deep enough and it pushes the bolt down (and out of alignment) ever so slightly. Is that correct? If so, would enlarging the diameter of the hole between the mag tube and barrel say 1/64" improve the situation?
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I think they relieve the barrel with out prefit and thus this becomes a problem if you file just a bit on the barrel channel you should see a good difference in you favor trust in one that have done this a many times it is common and easy fix. keep us posted.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Caribouriver wrote:...would enlarging the diameter of the hole between the mag tube and barrel say 1/64" improve the situation?
If are talking about enlarging the hole through the forearm, that needs to be done as well but it will not keep the barrel from being in the way. For Rossi to correct this they would really need to reevaluate the front half of the rifle. When you look at manufacturing, it is not a simple fix especially in light that Rossi manufactures ever part they use. The forearm and magazine tube bands are wrong as well as the forearm fit. There would need to be quite a bit of tooling changes. All you need is a chainsaw file and a bit of patience with the fit. This would be the easiest fix for Rossi to place in the manufacturing, cut a "half moon" relief in the barrel while they are cutting their dovetails and hide the files from their assembly "hacks"!
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:their assembly "hacks"!
ROSSI'S TOP FOREARM ASSEMBLER KEEPING IN SHAPE :lol:
(You know who)
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Caribouriver

Post by Caribouriver »

Got it. Thanks Michael. Great to know what the problem is. I looked carefully in strong light at the screw. It is slightly bent starting at the middle. Your explanation that the barrel notch is too shallow would explain that. I can see that by the time I get this 92 running well, I'll know it pretty well.
joe