Continually amazed at my 92

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Continually amazed at my 92

Post by pricedo »

RetiredGuns wrote:I The only thing I've done is the SS magazine follower just because I don't like plastic.
I did the same with my 3 92s based on the advice given by Steve Young on the Steve's Gunz DVD tutorial.
It's been a while since the 92 tune-ups so I don't recall the exact sourcing of the SS magazine followers.
I'm sure that a couple were from Steve's Gunz. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

RetiredGuns wrote:
akuser47 wrote:nice guns there and nice rossi glad yours is GTG That pump looks like my granpa's ol winchester pump it had a 26" barrel but not octy like that. Is that a winchester pump rimfire?
Thanks for the nice comments all.

Yep, Winchester 90-22 short. Dates about April 1926. It's been in the family for a good while. Many of these guns were used in carnivals for folks to plink a target and win a prize. Hard to imagine these days.
I guess there's still a few 1890 gallery models around. I got one in trade for an old stereo amplifier from a best friend in 1969. All he knew about it was that is was supposedly his Dad's, but having lost his Dad while he was still a child he really didn't know anything about it. His Mom didn't want it around the house, so my five dollar investment in the stereo amplifier really paid off. Fast forward 37 years and I find out my old friend has moved back to town and planning to be at our 35th class reunion. Having lost my Dad 3 years earlier and recognizing the fact that I really knew my Dad and about everything there was to know about his history and his "stuff, I got to thinking about my old friend and the fact that he really never got to know his Dad well. The day before the class reunion I called him and invited him over to visit, and gave him back my prized possession (tearfully). I have no idea how many squirrels and rabbits I collected with that little .22 short squirter, as well as "strays" .... and there was the fantastic coyote kill with that rifle at over 100 yards from an idling tractor seat .... and...... :D Yep that gun was in my pickup truck window in highschool, was my favorite plinker on the farm, and hung on the headboard bedpost in a leather scabbard (with a cross body shoulder strap) that I made specially for it. It still pains me that I no longer have it, but I do still get the warm and fuzzies knowing my buddy has something that might have made good memories for his late Dad many years ago.

Dang it, I'm tearing up again .... time for a shot of cheap tequila :mrgreen:

JD
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Deleted User 327

Post by Deleted User 327 »

Deleted
Last edited by Deleted User 327 on 01 May 2014 18:21, edited 1 time in total.
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

Steve,

I must have seen those pictures 5 or 6 times on different forums, but they still look good.

Having both those in 357, have you ever chronographed them side by side with the same ammo. Wondering what, if any, difference the extra 4 inches does for the velocity. Some say with a pistol cartridge, the extra barrel makes no difference, others say it does. I think it "all depends" on a lot of variables like bullet weight and powder speed.
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

They're great pictures of very well cared for guns and are worth repeating on several forums.
Good photography & workmanship.......to be proud of. :D
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
armymutt

Post by armymutt »

I took mine out for the first time today, using factory Winchester cowboy loads. Squeezed the trigger on the first and thought I had a squib. Took a look down the bore and saw day light. Kind of unsettling at first.
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

armymutt wrote:I took mine out for the first time today, using factory Winchester cowboy loads. Squeezed the trigger on the first and thought I had a squib. Took a look down the bore and saw day light. Kind of unsettling at first.

You must be shooting a 357 with 38s in it.

I shoot 160g round nose slugs, ahead of 3.5g of bullseye, in my 16" R92, when I want a ridiculously weak round for plinking and practicing the "Rifleman" from the hip shots. I have had people ask me "what kind of .22 is that?"
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70