R92 Chamber Mouth

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: R92 Chamber Mouth

Post by mr surveyor »

akuser47 wrote:I am always mispelling sorry to those this bothers lol I am usaully trying to do two things at once.
and it's getting to the point that multi-tasking for me as simple as walking and remembering where I'm going at the same time ... then upon arrival having to switch gears to remember why I'm there.

I'm still curious as to why some of the rifles have the relief cuts in the chamber mouth and some don't. Also would be interested to know if the ejector without the extended "wings" would work just as well in the model with the relief cuts. When I finally get around to deciding which spring kit I want, and into the mind set to do it, I'll dismantle my 92 and fix the ejector ... but I want it right the first time. I know those sharp cornered extensions need to go away, but how much?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

Like using a cell phone while driving. I CANT DO IT!!! I stop for GREEN lights, go for red ones, and end up at Walmart....when I was suppose to be going to the doctor.

AK, if it wernt for spell check, I'd sound like a southern hic. I love it when it underlines aint.

I fold a piece of 320 grit a few times, and with it in my palm, sand the face and edges of the ejector until there are no sharp corners or machine marks. Then buff it real slick with the buffing wheel.
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

pricedo,

I've never seen an amadeo in person but judging by your pic I'd have to say yes, it does look slicker. I am amazed at how many of the parts on the rossi are CAST. Some with good detail, some the tooling never even touched in a few low spots. While that "sounds" bad to us older folks that grew up seeing every part in the old guns, were machined from fordged billet. But cast aint always so bad. They have gotten casting down to an art, and can get some amazing detail and finish. I think sometimes they don't let the mold get up to temp before they start pouring parts. They look like my first 10-15 drops with a cold bullet mold. It seems like the difference in a quality mfg and a not so quality one now days, depends on their culling process. I have never seen a bad Ruger casting, and most everything on their guns is cast now. But with others it seems like if they can recognize the part, it get sent down the line to assembly.

I have a Ruger P85. I don't think there are 3 parts on that whole gun that are not cast, and one of those is the magazine. Even the barrel IS cast. You can see the parting line in the photo, down the middle of the chamber in front of the link.

I use to have an AMT 22 auto mag. It had a cast barrel and cast chamber....that had been welded together!!!!! It shot pretty good too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

donhuff wrote:pricedo,

I've never seen an amadeo in person but judging by your pic I'd have to say yes, it does look slicker.
A picture as they say is worth 1000 words.
And it's not like my M92/454 is an exceptionally good example.......all 3 of my Amadeo M92s exhibit the same smooth edged, sharp definition, on spec metal machining & finishing.
My guns were built just after the factory retooled to CNC machining in early 200X and before the Taurus takeover.........In my opinion Rossis best era akin to JM Marlins & pre-64 Winchesters.
The BrazTech R92s I've inspected off the rack in the last year or two are a lot cruder.
That rough edged cartridge lifter that looks like a serrated butter knife in your second photo is a disgrace and typical of the "fuzzy" BrazTech machining & metal finishing. Why would any factory with any semblance of quality control or pride in product allow such an abomination to be sent to the assembly line to be built into a rifle?
Maybe BrazTech laid off the CNC programmer to save money or the equipment is wearing out.
I think the rough parts machining is the main causal factor in the problems members including yourself have been experiencing with the BrazTech R92s.
I buy ONLY Rossi 92s now that were made in the post CNC retooling, pre BrazTech period.
Perhaps the money once earmarked to maintain the CNC equipment and for fitting & finishing has migrated to installing redundant lawyers safety infrastructure.
The PUMA rifles once imported & sold by LSI and the Interarms & Navy Arms guns are generally pretty good.
I think the reason the Amadeo rifles of that period stood out in quality from those that were produced at the Brazilian factory before & after is that Amadeo had substantial, long standing contracts with suppliers such as LSI, Interarms & Navy Arms at the time and the plant was geared up to make a higher quality gun so except for the walnut stock the generic Amadeo guns were of a higher standard all over.
The w/m fitting in my Amadeo M92s is also excellent and not "showing gaps" or stock wood proud of the metal around the receiver & tangs like it is on more contemporary R92s I've inspected.
Interarms, Navy Arms & LSI no doubt wouldn't have stood for the substandard machining and workmanship I'm seeing in some of the newer BrazTech generation rifles I've examined of late.
All this was good for the consumer of the day because if they were willing to forgo the walnut stock they could get a Navy Arms quality 92 clone under the Amadeo logo for 25 - 30% less money than the walnut stocked Navy Arms guns were MSRPing for.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:I think the rough parts machining is the main causal factor in the problems members including yourself have been experiencing with the BrazTech R92s.
Boy... do I agree with what you are saying. I do think that Rossi could eliminate a HUGE amount of warranty issues with their rifle by installing lighter springs, all four of them. The guns are just too tight to operate well.

On the mechanical side, this is the issue that Remington had with Marlin. They looked at the old drawings in use and said "hell no". They reduced everything to CAD and had the machines start to spit out the parts with small tolerances and the guns would not operate. They know how to a build a bolt but you cannot build a lever gun like this as it will lock up. I saw the big dog of Remington explain this at the Shot Show via video. This was actually an explaination of the "stand down " they went through about a year after they took over Marlin. He said they had to learn how to build a levergun within the modern manufacturing process. I bet those CADs look like the old Marlin drawings they scoffed at!
Michael