Failure to extract

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
MT Gianni

Failure to extract

Post by MT Gianni »

1] I did the Steve's gunz tune up and have some issues. By my eyes I removed 1/3 the metal from the extractor that he showed in the video. I am able to extract one out of four cartridges on average, the rest need to be tapped out. Is there any other way I could have messed this up? If I have to order a replacement is there another source besides Rossi?
2] lever plug screw when bottomed ties up the gun. I cannot see that this thread pitch would be confused with any other screw. I left it 1/4 turn from tight which is not my general practice.
3] Magazine plug screw when tight rides against the bbl. I would prefer that nothing metal did that. Is this an accuracy issue? Should I file a few .000's off of it?
Thanks,
MT Gianni

Re: Failure to extract

Post by MT Gianni »

I read some more and took a file to the bottom front of the extractor. It lays flatter now and has good extraction. I cleaned up the sides but could not see any burrs.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Sorry did not see your thread sooner glad you got it sorted out. as for barrle tnsion You are SOL with that as the forearm is not freeflooted anyways the barrel bands add tension as well and on most centerfire calibers I have had the mag tube screw should have an indent in the barrel foor which it seats and helps hold the tube in place unless your mag tube srews into your reciever. keep us posted
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

Hi MT,

1...I have never modded an extractor so I cant really help you with that one except to say that the empties should be coming out easier than needing a tap or two. Did you remove the metal on a grinder and maybe kill the temper of the extractor? I understand that the extractor is slipping off of the rim, but I still think you should be able to extract with a fingernail. Maybe the chamber could use a good polishing. Does it show machine marks on the chamber walls?

2...Sometimes after repeated in and outs, that screw will seat a little deeper and touch the bolt. My 44 did that yesterday. I hold the screw with thumb and finger and pull the point across a file a couple of times. That's usually all it takes. Wont hurt a thing if you take off a hair too much either. Try to keep it flat but if you round it a little, it's no big deal as the screw is just plugging the hole so if the pin works it's way out. It wont snag in the hole or fall out.

3...That mag plug screw is SUPPOSE to touch the barrel. There should be a dimple drilled in the barrel for it to seat into. This is what "helps" the mag tube from jumping the barrel band screws that keep it in place.
Some say that the screw hurts accuracy, and they get vertical stringing because of it. I have not seen this problem as the guns can usually out shoot me and my reloads. Unless your trying to get bolt action accuracy from your 92 (which it aint really made to do), keep that screw tight against the barrel so you don't have to go home one day with the mag tube 4" longer than the barrel.
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
MT Gianni

Post by MT Gianni »

Thanks Don. I think I have the extractor problem solved by getting a deeper reach. I probably should look into polishing the chamber as it has always been a little tight.
Thanks for your experience with the screws.
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

your welcome MT.

AKuser,
I apologize to you for just jumping over you with my post. I read the questions from MT and replied, without looking to see if anyone else had said anything. Sorry.
Don Huff

16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

No offense given, I am glad we have this forum to help each other in times of need more than one answer can help better than my one single response also your post is much cleaner than mine different points of veiw can sometimes help people see the problem better.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

MT Gianni wrote:Thanks Don. I think I have the extractor problem solved by getting a deeper reach. I probably should look into polishing the chamber as it has always been a little tight.
Thanks for your experience with the screws.

I size for mine @.359 and my chamber was just a little too snug for SOME loaded rounds. Some cases are thicker than others, not much, but enough to make it choke. And my chamber was only like this at about the halfway mark on in (?). I made a steel plug that just barely fit in the tight half of the chamber and added some fine lapping compound, and lapped it out by hand. (cause I didn't want to remove but maybe .0005-.001". Then I took a wooden dowel, hack sawed down one end a few inches and put some old T shirt material in the slot. I slathered on some mothers polish and got it real slick. Mothers is so soft, you have to work it for a long time to get slick. I use this in a drill motor.
Don Huff

16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70