New .44 - stock kind of rough

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
armymutt

New .44 - stock kind of rough

Post by armymutt »

I picked up a .44 Magnum last week. Haven't had time to shoot it yet, but looked it over a bit. I noticed that the stock is kind of rough on some of the curved edges - same with the foregrip. I also have a bit of a wood burr near the bottom tang. Has anyone sanded theirs to smooth out the rough spots? I have a 70 y/o Win 94 and love the stock. Trying to get the Rossi somewhat similar in texture. I've never done any wood finishing.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: New .44 - stock kind of rough

Post by akuser47 »

You need to remove the rossi stain useing water. RD has a how to in the DIY gunsmithing forum. Then take your time stay away from any sharp edges that you may destroy if you do not take your time. Go slow and be careful it is so easy to sand and refinish. If it is just needing to be smoothed then yes mine was ruff as well. I started with wet dry sand paper the higher the smoother the results. I started in the 600 grit and moved up until I was using 1000 grit to make it smooth like glass after you have done this then you will need to reseal it. Fromby's low gloss tung oil, teak is nice. Pure tung oil is great, I like BLO boiled linseed oil as well if you want it to be darker you can stain it before useing the others I listed to seal it as well. But I think the tru oil RD has used on almost all of his is the best and easiest to use looks amazing. Check the threads he has in the gunsmithing section easy and amazing results I think you will love your finished results. Keep us posted.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New .44 - stock kind of rough

Post by Ranch Dog »

Welcome to the forum armymutt! The Rossi wood is very easy to work with. Poke around on the forum and you will see a lot of suggestions.
Michael