Talked To Rossi About Mod. 92 Front Sight Height Problem

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
blbolin

Talked To Rossi About Mod. 92 Front Sight Height Problem

Post by blbolin »

I purchased a Mod. 92 16inch SS .357/38 carbine last summer and it has been absolutely flawless in operation with only one problem encountered in that it shoots about six inches high no matter what load is tried with the rear sight out of any further adjustments. After studying front site charts trying to figure out what taller front sight to order I decided to call Rossi, let me tell you that it was not like talking to a Ruger tech rep. In talking to the Rossi tech rep, they acted like they never had heard of the problem with their carbines shooting high, yet when I "google it" I find all over the internet, owners having the same problem. Their only suggestion was to go buy a taller front sight somewhere as they didn't have any. I asked if they had every shot any of their own rifles, but they again said they had never heard of or encountered the problem of their carbines shooting high.
Exactly what front sight do owners replace the stock front sight with to correct this problem, someone must have fixed this correctly so we don't have to buy half a dozen sights to experiment with before we find the right one.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Talked To Rossi About Mod. 92 Front Sight Height Problem

Post by akuser47 »

here you go you can get the one that can be filed down as you tweak it for yoour petload. skinner
http://www.skinnersights.com/rossi_firearms_23.html
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Powhatan

Post by Powhatan »

I bought the taller front sight and the lower rear sight.. ended up putting the original front back on and just using the lower rear.. works great now.. had the same problem with mine 4 - 6 high..

http://store.stevesgunz.com/index.php?m ... ucts_id=35

I have the 24inch octagon.
Chris Hunter
Rossi 92 357 24inch octagon case hardened.
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

blbolin wrote:I purchased a Mod. 92 16inch SS .357/38 carbine last summer and it has been absolutely flawless in operation with only one problem encountered in that it shoots about six inches high no matter what load is tried with the rear sight out of any further adjustments. After studying front site charts trying to figure out what taller front sight to order I decided to call Rossi, let me tell you that it was not like talking to a Ruger tech rep. In talking to the Rossi tech rep, they acted like they never had heard of the problem with their carbines shooting high, yet when I "google it" I find all over the internet, owners having the same problem. Their only suggestion was to go buy a taller front sight somewhere as they didn't have any. I asked if they had every shot any of their own rifles, but they again said they had never heard of or encountered the problem of their carbines shooting high.
Exactly what front sight do owners replace the stock front sight with to correct this problem, someone must have fixed this correctly so we don't have to buy half a dozen sights to experiment with before we find the right one.
Its funny how Rossi/Taurus/Braztech's customer service people act like they have never heard of this before :) I used this one http://www.midwayusa.com/product/655240 ... ptic-green.

I used this for my rear sight http://www.midwayusa.com/product/132532 ... cm_vc=S014

Does your carbine shoot the same 6" high with 38 sp rounds?
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

They lied........of course they know about it.
How could they not?
Speaks to credibility & integrity.
I don't think Braztech cares if the NIB rifles work or not.
Their attitude seems to be: Out of door, out of mind.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I doubt that a CS agent would own a Rossi, they see the absolute worst of the product line. That would convince me to buy something else.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:I doubt that a CS agent would own a Rossi, they see the absolute worst of the product line. That would convince me to buy something else.
+1
The post CNC Brazilian factory retooling / pre Taurus/Braztech period was the Rossi 92s "finest hour" akin to the pre-64 Winchesters and the JM Marlins...........no lawyer safety junk and pretty decent basic quality.

The 3 x Rossi 92s I own were manufactured in that period and after a basic tune-up (strip/clean/deburr/oil + 500 dry cycles) the rifles are slick & accurate.

I couldn't be happier with the 3 x Rossi 92s I own.

When I compare my guns to the Braztech Rossi 92s I've handled since the Taurus takeover significant differences are apparent in fit, finish, workmanship and basic out-of-the-box functionality. The factory production overhead that should be going into installing the correct iron sights and properly fitting & finishing the guns is being wasted on redundant lawyers junk to address phantom safety issues that have never existed in reality since the guns were invented & first produced in the late 1890s.

Unless I could thoroughly inspect & function test the guns I would shy away from the Braztech products after the nightmare scenarios I'm reading about on this and other cyber-message boards.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Flinttim

Post by Flinttim »

I worked up a load for my new .357 , basically a Keith load. Mine too shot high and I allowed it was the hotter load. Took the rear sight ramp out and dead on.