"92 Lee Spring kit install & barrel band screw install tip

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
Dingo745

"92 Lee Spring kit install & barrel band screw install tip

Post by Dingo745 »

Well after a lot of trepidation I finally got around to installing the Lee Spring Kit in my '92.
The install of the spring went without a hitch, except for the ejector collar richoceting off the
wall, luckily I found it.
While I had the old girl apart I decided to get rid of the factory red dye on the woodwork using the hot water soak method, and finished it off with liberal coats of Tung Oil.

The drama began when I tried to re-install the for-end stock barrel strap screw.
After more than a few hours of cursing and swearing at at the damn screw and relieving all the hole openings etc to get that fine threaded screw started, I was almost ready to give up, when I noticed a large amount of day light betweeh the ban and the barrel, indicating it had "sprung" out of shape but in a final burst of inspiration I decided to give the strap a good old whack with a plastic hammer which seated the band snugly against the barrel, and well bugger me the screw went straight back in, no problemo.
So lesson learned.

When in doubt use a hammer, or a bigger hammer whichever is needed.
Now I can finally go to bed at 3.25 a.m.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: "92 Lee Spring kit install & barrel band screw install t

Post by akuser47 »

glad you stayed the course now we need pics of the finished product +corn
Last edited by akuser47 on 16 Dec 2013 15:07, edited 1 time in total.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Dingo745 wrote:The drama began when I tried to re-install the for-end stock barrel strap screw.
Pb2au identified the solution Rossi should seek... a French Bolt.
french bolt.jpg
I know if the issue was mentioned to Customer Service, they would act surprised like it was the first time it had been mentioned, but Rossi knows about the fit issue. They would need to retool just about everything to correct it. I would bet a stack of $100 bills this is the "why" synthetic stocks are not being offered, you could never put the torque to the material and it give like the wood bends.

I'm going to put together a fax and see if I can approach the subject this way with them, my experience is that they are not open to ideas.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Ranch Dog wrote:I know if the issue was mentioned to Customer Service, they would act surprised like it was the first time it had been mentioned, but Rossi knows about the fit issue. They would need to retool just about everything to correct it. I would bet a stack of $100 bills this is the "why" synthetic stocks are not being offered, you could never put the torque to the material and it give like the wood bends.

I'm going to put together a fax and see if I can approach the subject this way with them, my experience is that they are not open to ideas.
Actually the Rio Grande had none of the problems of the M92's as far as fit and finish go. My forearm stock band came off and went right back on the RG without a problem.
Joe
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Yeah, the RG does not have the issue but they continue to roll out every single R92 with the problem.

In that Rossi tools up every part on their rifles, the french bolt is a very simple solution. The R92 and RG have been sharing the barrel band screw and that stock could continue to flow to the RG. The new bolt (screw) could be used on the R92 as soon as possible. Anybody contacting CS, could be sent a replacement.
Michael
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Ranch Dog wrote:Yeah, the RG does not have the issue but they continue to roll out every single R92 with the problem.

In that Rossi tools up every part on their rifles, the french bolt is a very simple solution. The R92 and RG have been sharing the barrel band screw and that stock could continue to flow to the RG. The new bolt (screw) could be used on the R92 as soon as possible. Anybody contacting CS, could be sent a replacement.
Well that is true however how hard would it be to simply line up the thing properly in the first place as the RG is. Oh wait I got a 454 92 with a second hole drilled in the inner mag tube in the wrong place. :D

On a side note they have heard about their garbage work on the 92 from me several times now though always polite but to the point also. Perhaps eventually they will figure it out.
Joe
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

joec wrote:On a side note they have heard about their garbage work on the 92 from me several times now though always polite but to the point also. Perhaps eventually they will figure it out.
That is the problem, CS is hearing it but the are powerless in developing a fix.
Michael
Dingo745

Post by Dingo745 »

I'll jump in here and say that my band screw did not need any material removed to fit.
My barrel had been relieved, plus I removed a little for good measure, but the band screw still failed to engage the thread UNTIL I gave band a gentle wallop with a soft mallet on top, which made it basically "snap" back into position on to the barrel, that is when the screw started easily.
So my opinion is still that the forend band is under a lot of pressure and springs slightly when removed, which makes the threads twist slightly out of alignment which causes all the dramas.
I am just glad I got it back together without screwing the screw.
Dingo745

Post by Dingo745 »

Here is my Rossi M92 after its refinish.
The pics don't look as good as the real thing, but definitely better than the factory finish.
RossiM923.jpg
RossiM921.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.