Range Testing Rio Grande 45.70

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
Jacko

Range Testing Rio Grande 45.70

Post by Jacko »

Well Folks I have had the Rifle for 3 weeks now and I am still quite impressed with it.

But it's not all Beer and Skittles - I have only fired 70 or so Shots from the Rifle and I have had 13 Cartridges Fail to Fire due to light Hammer Strikes.

Now the interesting bit - When I took it back to the Dealer to have the Light Hammer Strikes repaired under Warrantee he informed me that the Warrantee would not be honoured unless I could prove the Light Hammer Strikes with Factory Ammo and not the Handloads I have been using. He is happy to send it back to the distributor for repair but cautions if it goes "Bang" when they put a Factory Load in it I will have to pay Freight and for their Time. Sticks in my Craw Big Time - I will not be buying Factory Loads - their is nothing wrong with my Handloads. Principals Folks, I will not compromise my Principals.

I have used Winchester, CCI and 2 different batches of Remington Primers, the worst offender being the Remingtons just to satisfy myself it is a mechanical issue. I have paid very close attention to Primer seating depth. Today I bought some Federal Primers as they are supposed to be the Softest and will be trying them tomorrow. I fully expect more Cartridges to Fail to Fire. The Locktime is markedly slower and softer than my 3 other Lever Rifles.

I know it's an easy fix, Shim the Hammer Spring but to be told my Warrantee is Void because I shoot Handloads :twisted: :twisted:

Back to the Happy Things - Load Development. 40 grains ADI AR2206H [ Hodgdon 4895H ] 405 gr Lee HB proj OAL 2.585, cast from straight Aircooled Wheel Weights and lubed with Lee Liquid Alox leaded the barrel severly and printed a 5" group at 50 yards. Approx Velocity 1420 fps. I was shooting off what amounts to a Card Table in the middle of a Cow Paddock so a very unstable Bench.

Same Load but Lubed with LLA blended with Parrafin and STP Oil Treatment - minor Leading but hugely improved groups

The first 5 shots are in the Bottom of the V and as the slight Leading built up, the wind Blew and the Table woobled the impact shifted low and Right. I think this mild Trapddor Leval Load shows a lot of Promise. Recoil was a Big Slow Push and I could sit at a Bench all day with a load like this. It would generate more than adequite Performance to Hunt any Critter I'm likely to Hunt. Plan is to buy a Gas Checked Mould though and step things up some.,

Next I shot 45gr AR2206H 350 gr Westcast commercial Hardcast [ they have a Teflon Like Coating ] OAL 2.540 The group is in the Left of the Photo, the 2 holes cutting each other - the other 3 Shots Failed to Fire

I Pan Lubed a Heap of Proj last night with White Label Carnuba Red blended into Bees Wax with a little ATF added. Works good with my 35.303 at 1885 fps so should solve any leading issues. If not I could drop a grain or 2 Powder or alter my Wheels Weight Alloy. Gotta make my Mind Up re the Gas Checked Mould

It is interesting to note that if I pay attention to OAL my Rio Grande will Feed and Chamber a 2.585 OAL Cartridge with the Lee 405 HB proj seated. Now I gotta sort out this light Hammer Strike thing.

regards Jacko
"To my deep mortification my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

-Charles Darwin
Jacko

Re: Range Testing Rio Grande 45.70

Post by Jacko »

Range Testing is on hold for now as this afternoon I spoke to the Company that Imports Rossi's into Australia. They where very helpfull and agreed straight away to repair the Rifle. Now this is a mixed Blessing as the Rifle will be away for approx 1 Month.

This gives me time to Import a suitable Cast Bullet Mould and load some more development Loads and to order a new set of Aftermarket Sights for it. I'll be able to hit the Road Running when I get my Rio Grande back

regards Jacko
"To my deep mortification my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

-Charles Darwin
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

That always sucks but with some of the critters you have in your woods, a rifle that might not shoot is not good!
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I have learned that most all firearm brands warranty is void from reloads. so I never admit I reload to them if I am sending in for repair they will not touch it. I think they are to worried about liability sucks ytou have to fib to get what you areowed in warranty. I hope it is easy to fix
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!