Loading gate stuck?

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Strawdawg

Re: Loading gate stuck?

Post by Strawdawg »

I think a lot of us do it that way if for no other reason than to reduce the risk of losing some skin-particularly on an unslicked up gun :D
Steve

East of Eden on Tasajillo Hill
MuckyPup

Post by MuckyPup »

Hi. New guy on the forum. I had this problem too initially. The little doober that keep the cartridge from backing out of the mag wouldn't pop out properly and would allow the cartridge to back out under the loading gate. Packing grease, I believe, causing it to stick, was the culprit. It eventually worked itself into free moving. But also, and has been said on the forum before, taking the stock off( and the plastic follower from the mag), and using break parts cleaner to blow out all the packing grease from the action, and then re-oiling, fixed all the issues I had, even the intermittant fail-to-load of .357 cartridge issues. Just cleaning it amd re-oiling transforms the gun so much you wouldn't believe it. Also, I shortened the mag spring. That also helped by keeping the rounds from surging back out of the gate while loading. I didn't fuss with the loading gate yet. Good luck.
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

Never thought of the trick of leaving the tail of the loaded cartridge sticking out until you get to the last one. That will keep me from scraping the top of my thumbnail until the last one. Cussing once is better than eight times in a row. :)
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
jonb

Post by jonb »

Good trick / technique .

I think with these guns you have to accept a certain amount of fettling is required.

Jon