Just another M92 re-finish job.

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Just another M92 re-finish job.

Post by akuser47 »

Awesome work great rifle.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Yes, very nice looking!
Michael
Pb2au

Post by Pb2au »

Thanks for all the kind words everyone! It really was a fun project and I am looking forward to the next one!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Just refinished my Winchester 1886 Extra Light.
The incumbent finish was I thought kinda grey and lackluster.........a waste of high grade walnut.........like dressing Demi Moore in a burlap bag.
Rubbed a coat of Tru-Oil on with my fingers and let it dry for 6 hours and then applied another coat.
I pour my oil (either Tru-Oil or linseed oil) into a small plastic container and mix in a couple of drops of Japan Drier (Home Depot) .......really speeds up the curing time.
The driers will sometimes go south if the oil has been sitting around for a while and it can be a week before the tackiness on a treated stock disappears........Japan Drier kinda helps the old oil out. :mrgreen:
I hope my rifle turns out as nice as yours did Pb2au........it would be a miracle considering my slop-it-on methodology. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Pb2au wrote:Ok, enough of the waiting. Here are the pics of the finished projects
Any chance of a picture with the rifle horizontal... for our header pictures?
Michael
Pb2au

Post by Pb2au »

Here you go sir. Let me know if you need anything else.
_DSC0124.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Pb2au wrote:Here you go sir. Let me know if you need anything else.
Very nice!
Michael
Pb2au

Post by Pb2au »

pricedo wrote:Just refinished my Winchester 1886 Extra Light.
The incumbent finish was I thought kinda grey and lackluster.........a waste of high grade walnut.........like dressing Demi Moore in a burlap bag.
Rubbed a coat of Tru-Oil on with my fingers and let it dry for 6 hours and then applied another coat.
I pour my oil (either Tru-Oil or linseed oil) into a small plastic container and mix in a couple of drops of Japan Drier (Home Depot) .......really speeds up the curing time.
The driers will sometimes go south if the oil has been sitting around for a while and it can be a week before the tackiness on a treated stock disappears........Japan Drier kinda helps the old oil out. :mrgreen:
I hope my rifle turns out as nice as yours did Pb2au........it would be a miracle considering my slop-it-on methodology. :mrgreen:
Trust me, I'm a much better mechanic than a wood refinisher. I just kinda close my eyes and weigh into battle and see if something cool happens. :D
I would love to see some pictures of the 86'. I've got a blood lust for those rifles!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Pb2au wrote:
pricedo wrote:Just refinished my Winchester 1886 Extra Light.
Trust me, I'm a much better mechanic than a wood refinisher. I just kinda close my eyes and weigh into battle and see if something cool happens. :D
I would love to see some pictures of the 86'. I've got a blood lust for those rifles!
Just touched up a few spots near the tangs where the oil was thin.
Now to wait for the small touched up spots to cure (should be OK in a coupla hours with the Japan Drier catalyst).
Will take and post a pic ASAP. +corn

I'm actually much more interested in wood sealing & preservation than aesthetics as all my guns work for a living.......no wallflowers.

I noticed that just from handling the rifle for the little time I've had it that the brine from my perspiring hands was staring to lighten the wood color around my most common grip hold area on the forearm. That kind of porosity invites wood deterioration and swell especially when the gun is exposed to the raw elements like my guns often are. Wood swell in the forearm has a detrimental effect on accuracy. I decided then to apply Tru-Oil to seal & protect the wood.

Update: the 1886 EL is finished and photographable and I noticed that I got a little Tru-Oil on the upper tang which is only noticeable with my eyes within a couple of inches of the surface. I notice that one of the first places the blueing wears off on my leverguns is the upper tang so I'm going to leave the film of cured Tru-Oil on the upper tang to prevent similar corrosion from brine (sweat) from my hands.

A pic soon.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA