Cleaning fired Brass

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Cleaning fired Brass

Post by akuser47 »

Johnz wrote:I switched over to the wet tumbler method using SS pins earlier this year & will NEVER go back to the dry vibrating method. The wet method produces brand new looking brass PLUS you don't have to clean the primer pockets separately. Yes I know that some shooters never clean primer pockets but for those that do, the wet method eliminates that tedious & laborious step.
This is one reason I'm debating switching to a wet media like this as well it would be nice to not have my primer pockets packed full of walnut. I have used corn cob media and it did it I have tried various sizes of ground walnut shells to try and avoid this to no sucess.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

akuser47 wrote:
Johnz wrote:I switched over to the wet tumbler method using SS pins earlier this year & will NEVER go back to the dry vibrating method. The wet method produces brand new looking brass PLUS you don't have to clean the primer pockets separately. Yes I know that some shooters never clean primer pockets but for those that do, the wet method eliminates that tedious & laborious step.
This is one reason I'm debating switching to a wet media like this as well it would be nice to not have my primer pockets packed full of walnut. I have used corn cob media and it did it I have tried various sizes of ground walnut shells to try and avoid this to no success.

Really, since I started buying the walnut hull from the pet store and using Nu Finish, my primer pockets don't get caked up anymore. Seems like the pet store stuff is a little finer than the made for gun use hulls. And I never get one stuck in the flash hole with it either.

I use it till it doesn't clean good anymore, then dump and replenish.

I like how the SS needles clean the PP and the inside of the case. But it is pretty expensive to get it set up since I don't have a tumbler. I wish they would work with a vibrator.
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
Johnz

Post by Johnz »

Yeah Don, that was the one thing that held me back for as long as it did before switching over to the wet tumbler method but I just decided to bite-the-bullet (pun not intended :D ) & go for it.

I got the Thumlers rotary tumbler with the higher speed motor (intended for brass cartridge tumbling as opposed to rocks) at a special promotional discount price that Cabela's had going at that time which was around $160 delivered plus the bag of brass pins which was about $30-$40 (really don't remember). So for approx. a $200 start up cost, I'm set for life & don't have to worry about any lead dust anymore or replacing the worn & dirty vibrating media.

MidwayUSA had a promo price going at the same time too, but it wasn't quite as good as Cabela's, which is strange because its usually the opposite that takes place.
Rtbender

Post by Rtbender »

The rotary tumbler with pins sounds pretty great, I had not seen them before but now I will have to do some research.

I currently combine a few methods to clean my brass. First I deprime, then the brass gets tossed in a cheap ultra sonic I found at harbor freight with some dawn dish soap. I run them for 10 to 15 minutes before dumbing them in a salad spinner for a quick spin dry (yep, a salad spinner). Then still slightly damp they go in a vibrator with walnut. Once done its good as new and looks like its never been fired.

I know it's not the simplest method but I spent less than $100 to get up and running.
Johnz

Post by Johnz »

Rtbender wrote:...then the brass gets tossed in a cheap ultra sonic I found at harbor freight with some dawn dish soap...
I tried the ultrasonic method too at 1st but just wasn't getting the results I wanted plus didn't like the liquid solutions that were required. Plus I bought a cheapy (Frankford Arsenal) unit that could only be run for a specified amount of time or would overheat. Now I'll use it for jewelery or something else since I've got the wet tumbler system.