Pleasantly surprised......

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
jonb

Pleasantly surprised......

Post by jonb »

Hi All

Just had my first afternoon with my new Rossi 92 in 357 , 16 inch barrel.

What a great rifle !

I had shot other Rossi's but they had all been "de bugged" , mine was straight out the box , all I did was work the action a couple of hundred times, clean and oil, as was advised on other sites.

I tried two lots of 357 , PPU and Magtech , the PPU seemed to "catch" slightly but I knew the rifle would need running in so was not concerned.
The Magtech however cycled like butter , amazing !

The icing on the cake was a trigger pull of around 2 to 2 1/2 pounds , crisp and clean.

Having been lucky enough to shoot Winchesters and Marlins , I would put Rossi up there with them.

Regards from the UK

Jon
Trailboss
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Pleasantly surprised......

Post by Trailboss »

Congrats Jon,

Sounds like you got one that is pretty good right out of the box. That's excellent. It will smooth out over time and get even better.

Ken
Aim small, miss small.
jonb

Post by jonb »

Thanks Ken

Still a few jobs I want to do but a good start.

Regards

Jon
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

jonb wrote:Hi All

Just had my first afternoon with my new Rossi 92 in 357 , 16 inch barrel.

What a great rifle !

I had shot other Rossi's but they had all been "de bugged" , mine was straight out the box , all I did was work the action a couple of hundred times, clean and oil, as was advised on other sites.

I tried two lots of 357 , PPU and Magtech , the PPU seemed to "catch" slightly but I knew the rifle would need running in so was not concerned.
The Magtech however cycled like butter , amazing !

The icing on the cake was a trigger pull of around 2 to 2 1/2 pounds , crisp and clean.

Having been lucky enough to shoot Winchesters and Marlins , I would put Rossi up there with them.

Regards from the UK

Jon
Great news ! .......you lucked out.......better buy a coupla lottery tickets while your luck is still running. :mrgreen:
My three 92s are NOW slick, purty & accurate but that took a little work........I wasn't quite as lucky as you. :cry:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
jonb

Post by jonb »

Thanks Pricedo

Yes I guess I was lucky , glad you got yours sorted , nothing worse than spending hard earned money on a pretty paper weight !

Regards from the UK

Jon
Strawdawg

Post by Strawdawg »

Jon, glad it worked well straight out of the box! How far does it eject the empty cases when you cycle it?
Steve

East of Eden on Tasajillo Hill
jonb

Post by jonb »

Hi Strawdawg

The PPU brass did bind on the rails, slightly , I had to gently double lever to help then in to the chamber but ejected fine , quite high in fact !

The Magtech steel cases cycled and ejected very well , I did not expect that from a new Rossi !

Clearly its early days , I put about 50 rounds through the rifle today and was very pleased and I'm sure it will improve with use.

Regards

Jon
Strawdawg

Post by Strawdawg »

I asked because many mention how far the cases are ejected when the action is cycled. I picked one up recently that had been traded in and it does not have this problem. Empty cases clear the receiver by a few inches and fall to the ground by my feet.

perhaps the first owner "slicked" the action and changed the springs because it cycles effortlessly and the loading gate is very easy on the thumb...I guess I need to open it up to have a look but it works so well, I don't want to mess with it.... :)

It's more fun than a Red Ryder BB gun...just ordered a Skinner barrel mounted sight for it.
Steve

East of Eden on Tasajillo Hill
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

I need to fiddle with my 45 a bit. The brass ejects like my 9mm pistol. It's the only rifle in the cabinet that will toss hot brass down the back of my collar.
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
Powhatan

Post by Powhatan »

Rooster59 wrote:I need to fiddle with my 45 a bit. The brass ejects like my 9mm pistol. It's the only rifle in the cabinet that will toss hot brass down the back of my collar.
Lee's Gunslinger spring kit will solve that problem. I put the kit on my 357 and the shells land at my feet now. A little fiddly to put in but there are some great videos on youtube to guide you if necessary.

Chris +guns
Chris Hunter
Rossi 92 357 24inch octagon case hardened.