Red dot mount?

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Red dot mount?

Post by Ranch Dog »

DSA wrote:Bought my 357, 92 with the scope mount.
Mounted a Bushnell red dot.
This combination works great.
Off hand 10 inch steel plates at 100 yards
with lead hard cast reloads, no problem.
My old eyes couldn't do that with open sights.
Sounds good! Are you going to hunt any big game with your rifle?
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Red dot mount?

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:
DSA wrote:Bought my 357, 92 with the scope mount.
Mounted a Bushnell red dot.
This combination works great.
Off hand 10 inch steel plates at 100 yards
with lead hard cast reloads, no problem.
My old eyes couldn't do that with open sights.
Sounds good! Are you going to hunt any big game with your rifle?
Good choice.
The red-dot genre of optical hunting aids are great for ranges up to 150 yards which is about the practical max range of the rifle (92/357) it is mounted on in your case.
If I had such a rifle/optic combination I would mentally set 100 yards as the max range with the caliber (357) as the weakest link in the chain in regards to range for efficiently killing whitetail deer.
The one I had would be 30+ years old now if I still had it and I'm sure that modern gadget technology has increased the maximum useful range of this type of sight.
They are very fast & you're on target before you can say the word "target".
I had a red-dot made by Bushnell mounted on a Ruger semi-auto rifle in 44 Mag (can't recall the model offhand - anywho it's the one that looks like the 10/22) that I killed several deer with.
Used that red-dot/Ruger 44 Mag combo with great success well into the 90s until one of my hunting buddies spotted it & it became an instant "must have" for him. This is one disadvantage of meticulously caring for your guns like I do.........the rifle & optic were in pristine condition.
I held out until the price was right and like many successful gun/optic combos I've owned it too got swept away by the winds of time. :cry:
I recall that gun because the buyer got me to hand load 6 x @50 round boxes of the guns sweetheart load featuring the 265 grain Hornady FN-SP. All we had on the shelves those days was the Big Green 240 grain factory loads which shot with marginal accuracy in my Ruger 44 Mag auto-loader.
My "trick" knee which I got playing hockey when I was a teeny-bopper is the only thing that has stayed with me constantly over the years........guns (except for a few original legacy Winchesters) come & go.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA