Walnut stock ...... really?

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Walnut stock ...... really?

Post by Ranch Dog »

If Marlin is delivering a better product, Rossi will need to move it up a notch. I just looked on GB and a NIB Marlin 336 can be had for $410 with the Rio Grande at $400. These were the lowest available prices for a new rifle. $10 difference for a finished rifle (internals, wood, and clean) is no competition. Rossi better pay attention.

There is no comparison to draw on for the R92 as there is no such thing at this time as a NIB 1894. I guess Remlin hasn't figured out how to build them but hey, better not than to deliver a rifle that will not function.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:If Marlin is delivering a better product, Rossi will need to move it up a notch. I just looked on GB and a NIB Marlin 336 can be had for $410 with the Rio Grande at $400. These were the lowest available prices for a new rifle. $10 difference for a finished rifle (internals, wood, and clean) is no competition. Rossi better pay attention.

There is no comparison to draw on for the R92 as there is no such thing at this time as a NIB 1894. I guess Remlin hasn't figured out how to build them but hey, better not than to deliver a rifle that will not function.
Rossi proved with the Navy Arms run of 92s that they could build a superb levergun.
The closest competition for the Rossi 92 in the Marlin product line is the 1894 (if and when Marlin resumes production) which shoots the same pistol calibers and the 1894 will accept a top-receiver mounted scope. I like most others I spoke to don't care for scout scopes with the difficulty of mounting and the lack of availability and power setting flexibility being the prime reasons.
My Rio Grande 30-30 bought about 3 years ago cleaned-up to be perhaps the slickest & most accurate levergun in my stable & it is up against stiff competiton with Pedersolis & Miroku Winchester leverguns MSRPing at several times the price of the Rossi product. I cannot overstate how pleased I am with my Rio Grande.
I owned a Navy Arms 92 in 44 Mag and am sorry I gave in to a pleading friend and sold it........it was an excellent firearm as good or better than anything Marlin or Winchester ever built & a heck of a lot purtier.
Unlike the Remington takeover of Marlin the Taurus takeover of Rossi didn't involve a brand new factory and a purging of the skilled & experience gun builders at the plant in Brazil so I'm sure the skillset & equipment infrastructure necessary to build a Navy Arms level of quality levergun exists there today.
RD is right.......with the price differential practically gone between Marlin and Rossi products customers will not accept substandard materials, workmanship & performance when they can get a properly finished, walnut stocked rifle that works right the first time out of the box from Marlin. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

kokopelli wrote:'Walnut' must be Portuguese for 'any tall plant structure that grows in the jungle'.
LMAO :lol:

I have two Rossi's, the butt stock and forearm on both of them look like they were cut from different trees, from different forests, from different planets. I don't know how Rossi can screw that up.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Surprised Braztech hasn't gone to paper mache gun stocks to go with the wash-off finish. :lol:
If Remlin re-starts the 1894 line of pistol caliber leverguns at the same quality level as the 336s & 1895s they are producing now Rossi will be in trouble as customers will be getting a reasonable quality levergun (albeit a bit heavier) that works right out of the box with a walnut stock and a finish that stays on the gun when it rains for about the same money.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Quinc
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Quinc »

Are all 92 stocks the same? I have a friend who makes some beautiful walnut stocks and could probably talk him into using my 357 92 and making some if we had enough people interested.
"Everyone has a plan tell they get punched in the face." -Mike Tyson
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

Quinc wrote:Are all 92 stocks the same? I have a friend who makes some beautiful walnut stocks and could probably talk him into using my 357 92 and making some if we had enough people interested.
I bought a forearm from the link below for my carbine. They are not plug and play, that's for sure. I plan to get the butt stock and take everything to a smitty I found that will fit em. I could probably do it myself but I'm not a wood guy and for another 100.00 I'd rather it be done right.

http://www.precisiongunstocks.com/conte ... s/d70.html
Quinc
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Quinc »

Let me ask my buddy if I can post his info. I know people have sent him stocks for him to duplicate in Walnut. He doesn't charge a whole lot either.
"Everyone has a plan tell they get punched in the face." -Mike Tyson
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Quinc wrote:Let me ask my buddy if I can post his info. I know people have sent him stocks for him to duplicate in Walnut. He doesn't charge a whole lot either.
Please do!
Michael
Strawdawg

Post by Strawdawg »

Given the variation in the wood fit from gun to gun, it would probably be necessary to start with a gun and fit to it rather than assuming a given piece of wood is the correct pattern. And, there may be some assembly variance between guns-particularly on the forearm but I suspect the big variation is in the wood itself
Steve

East of Eden on Tasajillo Hill
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

I would be happy with a pretty close fit and either take a little sanding or a little epoxy filling to fit it to the gun.
I have swapped the wood on a couple of mine, just to see how close they are and one fit about as well as the other. And I have made a couple of 1/64th plywood "shims" to go under the tangs on one of them to keep from having to tighten the screw down so hard to make contact!
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70