Winchester 100 in 308 with Bushnell scope

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Winchester 100 in 308 with Bushnell scope

Post by pricedo »

Back to the Winchester model 100.
Passing on a caution from a guy who learned the hard (expensive) way.........not ME fortunately !
This is one time where I got to learn from someone else's mistake.
If you're going to work on your model 100 (install scope, bases, etc.) and need to hold it in a padded vise DO NOT tighten the vice too much and secure the gun in the vice with the magazine IN and just snug enough to hold it.
The wood is quite thin and delicate in the area under the ejector lever around the magazine port and if you crack it those stocks are impossible to find.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Another observation I am happy to make is that the trigger on my model 100 is a lot better than the "fence post" trigger on the model 88 I sold back in the 80s. My 100 has a really nice trigger. Of course I knew that before the gun left the shop. :mrgreen:
My first thought after I had checked everything else over (flashlight and bore-scope) was "is the trigger on this gun as heavy & creepy as the one on my old 88?"
Prior to finalization of the deal I pulled a coupla red .308 Winchester snap caps outa my pocket, showed them to the clerk and pointed to the gun on the counter and asked, "may I ?" He nodded.
The biggest reason my 88 got it's walking papers was the heavy, gritty trigger that most gun smiths of the day wouldn't even look at and I wasn't about to repeat that experience.
As they say, the rest is history and my model 100 is all decked out with a Leupold scope in wait for hunting season in a few short weeks.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

If anyone is looking for good Picatinny rails to mount on their Winchester model 88s and 100s and many other makes of guns for more scope placement versatility check out the Evolution Gun Works website. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Had the W100 out to the range this morning with the Nosler factory 308 Win 165 grain Accubond ammo.
This is superb ammo........and expensive.......$35 a box. :mrgreen:
Zeroed in at 100 yards........1 MOA or less (3-shot group) no problem off a rest mounted on the big metal tool locker in the box of my PU truck..........don't mind paying a little extra for that kind of consistent result.
Fired a box (@ 20 rounds) of ammo and accuracy was consistent and feeding/cycling was flawless. :D
Real good shooting for a gun that was reputed to have so-so accuracy........goes to show that guns are individuals that don't always conform to stereotyping .......good or bad.
Ejected cases were pristine and not mangled by the W100s action like some semi-autos do.
Virtually no recoil.
The W100/Leupold 2-7x33mm scope combo is a WINNER and is going deer hunting this fall.......couldn't be more pleased with this gun. :D

*The W100 would probably have 4 pigs on the ground before the brains of the other members of the sounder could signal their stubby little legs to start running.
4 casings in the air at once.......no need to disengage the line of sight to the targets to work an action.......leverguns are fast but not that fast.

**the W100 was stripped, thoroughly checked, cleaned & lightly lubricated (not too much !) before the above range session. There is an excellent YouTube video by gunsmith Jim Green of Harrington, Maine on how to strip the W100.
You do what you need to do (proper care & maintenance) & the gun will do what it needs to do.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

The above is a customized Winchester 100 and is illustrative of the kind of work some people are capable of.
I'm envious.........whoever did this work has a real skill.
This gun belongs in a gallery not on a rack.
The photo doesn't do it justice.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Just picked up an original Winchester made box magazine for my Winchester model 100 (308 Win)................$80 (basic cost) >> $106 with taxes and shipping. :x

The new magazine is in good condition and functions flawlessly with dummy ammo.

These original magazines (not the Wisner repros) are at a premium and my particular magazine was on the cyber-shelf (internet vendor website) for 5 minutes before it got zapped up (fortunately by me). :mrgreen:

The Winchester model 100 rifle is much more popular now than it was when it was in production (1961 - 1973).

My particular model 100 is a < 1MOA shooter with the Nosler factory 165 grain Accubond ammo and is a beautiful rifle to look at and light to carry.

Can't stand the "plasticky angular" look of the modern ARs.
They're about as aesthetically pleasing as an electric toaster. :twisted:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA