My last accuracy improvement fix... radical!

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Johnz

Re: My last accuracy improvement fix... radical!

Post by Johnz »

Sorry Xshot, that comment was intended sarcasm meaning 'how many of you think that there won't be accuracy issues?"

Still haven't gotten out to shoot it to find out one way or another. Our local gun range is closed for a couple of weeks.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

When JMB designed the original 92s with the single magazine tube retention screw most shooting was done with black powder and recoil was considerably tamer than it is with the heavier smokeless powder loads we are using in our Rossi 92s. The single retention screw design was capable of withstanding recoil during these earlier times without shearing or breaking off.

Some consider the Rossi 92 a clone or copy of the original JMB Wnchester 92 design & in most respects it is.
But Rossi has taken the next step in the JMB 92 design evolution and that is by modifying the magazine tube to the much more robust double threaded magazine design that is present in the second generation Rossi 92/454s and 92/480s that also as a double bonus allows the guns employing the new configuration to be loaded through a loading slot in the underside of the magazine tube itself.

I think Rossi should use the superior double threaded design in all of their model 92s and the screw shearing problem which is the subject of this thread would be a thing of the past. :mrgreen:

The double threaded Rossi magazine re-design is quite ingeneous.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Xshot

Post by Xshot »

pricedo - you hit the nail on the head. The threaded mag tube, like that of the newer 454's, would solve the problem. I actually looked to see if there was something at the receiver end of my .357, but after staring at it for a couple of hours I decided the only option was a permanent attachment - silver solder. I decided that would be too drastic and looked to find a fix at the muzzle end.

The problem with the mag plug screw is that even if you file it down to prevent it touching the barrel, while centered in the barrel recess, it just a matter of time before it moves. On my rifle, if the mag tube moved just a few 1000's it started to string vertically. I just got tired of screwing with it.

Since my fix/mod I've shot 30 rounds. Many of these rounds the hotter Buffalo Bore heavies and Hornady Leverevolution. To date, I haven't experience the vertical stringing I had been. Now maybe I can spend more time mastering the Marble's Bullseye ghost ring and FO front sight I installed months ago.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

JMB wasn't wrong he's behind the times and he has the perfect excuse for not being up to speed on smokeless powder ammunition and the impact of the much higher pressures & heavier recoil on his gun designs......he's dead. :cry:

Much rather see Rossi expending production overhead on implementing a much more robust magazine confguration that is sorely needed than 2 silly lawyer safeties (JMBs original half-cock safety was perfectly adequate & eloquent in its simplicity). :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA