45-70 Rio Great But.......

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
Ninety Caliber

Re: 45-70 Rio Great But.......

Post by Ninety Caliber »

BeerHunter wrote:Any update? +corn
As a matter of fact did exactly that! Had to shim a good bit to get it good at 100 yds. Then I show up for the side match and realize my distance is 218....one hit out of five lol. Oh well, sure is fun to shoot!
N.C.
rzavaleta

Post by rzavaleta »

Hey, Ninety Caliber!

I just read Deer Hunter's commentary on the laser boresight. I JUST this weekend bought a scope and a Bushnell 74100C for my Rossi Rio Grande .45-70. I started out, as Deer Hunter said, by rotating the laser 90 degrees and marking until I'd done the full 360. The point was, as also stated, to find the "average center". I was a little disappointed in the result. As I was putting everything away, I decided, out of morbid curiosity, to try something with the laser.

I laid it on a table and rolled it and watched the dot travel across the wall. It bobbled so badly it would actually "disappear" as the beam intersected the tabletop! "How could a supposedly 'precision device' make it through manufacturing and be THAT 'imprecise'?" That was the question that burst through my brain. Then it hit me. When I was turning the laser on, I did what I'm guessing a LOT of people do. I turned the laser head only as far as I needed to for it to turn on. Minimalistically lazy? Possibly. I repeated the "roll test", but this time I turned the laser head ALL the way until it was firmly seated. This time the bobble was MINIMAL, and what bobble there was could possibly have been due to the imperfect surface of the cheap table I was testing it on.

Unfortunately, it was late. I had to pack it in for the night. I'll setup for a do-over tonight and share results.
ONE well-placed round beats a whole bunch of "spray & pray" any day!
BeerHunter

Post by BeerHunter »

rzavaleta wrote:Hey, Ninety Caliber!

I just read Deer Hunter's commentary on the laser boresight. I JUST this weekend bought a scope and a Bushnell 74100C for my Rossi Rio Grande .45-70. I started out, as Deer Hunter said, by rotating the laser 90 degrees and marking until I'd done the full 360. The point was, as also stated, to find the "average center". I was a little disappointed in the result. As I was putting everything away, I decided, out of morbid curiosity, to try something with the laser.

I laid it on a table and rolled it and watched the dot travel across the wall. It bobbled so badly it would actually "disappear" as the beam intersected the tabletop! "How could a supposedly 'precision device' make it through manufacturing and be THAT 'imprecise'?" That was the question that burst through my brain. Then it hit me. When I was turning the laser on, I did what I'm guessing a LOT of people do. I turned the laser head only as far as I needed to for it to turn on. Minimalistically lazy? Possibly. I repeated the "roll test", but this time I turned the laser head ALL the way until it was firmly seated. This time the bobble was MINIMAL, and what bobble there was could possibly have been due to the imperfect surface of the cheap table I was testing it on.

Unfortunately, it was late. I had to pack it in for the night. I'll setup for a do-over tonight and share results.
Not much of a "Deer Hunter", but beer hunting is a long, funny story that I wouldn't have believed if I didn't live it!

Anyway, did you make any progress on sighting yours in? I used the "removed the bolt and look through the bore" method myself to get it close. Haven't had time yet to dial it in, though. Been too busy dealing with other priorities. Hope to finish that job soon , though because that thing is a hoot to shoot! I may just have to make a trip to my birth state to use it on some hogs! +guns
NRA-RSO, SAF, GOA, MSI, MSRPA, SLSC
FFL 03, MD Designated Regulated Firearms Collector

Love My RG4570S but until Braztech revises their "restricted" parts list, I'll not buy another or recommend the brand to anyone else.
rzavaleta

Post by rzavaleta »

Hey, BEERHunter!

Sorry 'bout that ... "BeerHunter" becomes "DeerHunter" when I work on my computer without putting my reading glasses on. Reality gets a little fuzzy and assumption misinforms me.

Can't get you the results on boresighting as the very next range session to work on dialing my new scope in is where my gun started to fall apart! I refer you to my thread "Ding, Dong, my rifle's dead ...".
ONE well-placed round beats a whole bunch of "spray & pray" any day!