Has anyone tried putting Marlin 336 stocks on a Rio Grande?

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
Centaur 1
Founding Member
Founding Member

Has anyone tried putting Marlin 336 stocks on a Rio Grande?

Post by Centaur 1 »

I know that I'm probably asking for a small miracle here, but by some chance can they be made to fit? I really don't mind doing the work if the inletting has to be opened up, or if the stock needs to be sanded down to match the receiver. It wouldn't work the other way around if the inletting is already too large, or if the wood is already smaller than the mating surfaces of the receiver. If this works it would open up our options if we want to pretty up the gun. This way if a nice walnut 336 stock is found at a gun show or on e-bay, it would be nice to know that we could make it work.
"We have federal regulations and state laws that prohibit hunting ducks with more than three rounds. And yet it's legal to hunt humans with 15-round, 30-round, even 150-round magazines." Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-California)
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Has anyone tried putting Marlin 336 stocks on a Rio Gran

Post by pricedo »

Centaur 1 wrote:I know that I'm probably asking for a small miracle here, but by some chance can they be made to fit? I really don't mind doing the work if the inletting has to be opened up, or if the stock needs to be sanded down to match the receiver. It wouldn't work the other way around if the inletting is already too large, or if the wood is already smaller than the mating surfaces of the receiver. If this works it would open up our options if we want to pretty up the gun. This way if a nice walnut 336 stock is found at a gun show or on e-bay, it would be nice to know that we could make it work.
In my opinion a gun is a tool.
Pretty is a 12 point deer rack on my living room wall or a pan full of fried venison tenderloin in the pan and a fresh opened "cold one" on the table beside it.
The gun is the tool I use to make that happen.
Birch or walnut stocks as long as the gun looks respectable and does its job is irrelevant.
I have an eye candy Pedersoli Premium grade model 86/71 in .45-70 and a Rehabilitated Remlin Guide Gun in the same caliber that I polished the action and customized which incidentally is accurate as old heck.
The horrible checkering on the Remlin sure didn't affect its ability to put em in the 10-ring.
Guess what gun is going to be pounding through the tag alders and bouncing around in the back of my pick-up this fall?
The Pretty Pedersoli or the accurate as heck Rehabilitated Remlin Guide Gun with the bad complexion?
If you guessed the Remlin........you got it.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Centaur 1
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Centaur 1 »

I agree that it's just a tool, but if the stock is interchangeable and a good deal comes along for the right price, there's nothing wrong with a good looking gun.
"We have federal regulations and state laws that prohibit hunting ducks with more than three rounds. And yet it's legal to hunt humans with 15-round, 30-round, even 150-round magazines." Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-California)
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Try a refinish of your current stock may shock you. here is some links to my refinish thread and the original thread I started over on ar site.
http://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=104
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_47/36133 ... oose_.html
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Centaur 1
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Centaur 1 »

AK, great job on that stock. I don't own a gun that hasn't been refinished by me, and I've used Formsby's low gloss tung oil on several. I switched to using Minwax Antique Oil and I like it more than the Formsby's. All of the different oils work well, but the antique oil has extra drying agent in it. The trick with it is to wait 5 minutes after you applied it, it will get very tacky. Using a clean rag(old t-shirt) wipe off the finish that you just applied. This gives a great in-the-wood finish versus one that builds up on top of the wood. By building up the finish this way it eliminates the need to sand or use steel wool between coats, and by wiping off the excess oil you'll never get drips or runs. Check out this link to the high road that describes the technique.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=240961

Concerning the rust you talked about on the magazine tube where it touches the wood. If anyone is a bullet caster you probably have a bottle of Lee liquid Alox bullet lube laying around, if not it's only $4 a bottle. This stuff might be sold as a bullet lube, but it was originally designed as a rust inhibitor. I remove the wood from my guns and coat any metal that is hidden. Let it dry overnight then reassemble the gun, reapply as part of your annual cleaning regimen and the gun will never rust. It's not gun related but I have one last tip to share. Coat your car battery terminals with alox and they won't corrode either.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I will have to try the minwax on one of my next toys I love playing with my wood stocks on many guns and that sounds like what I will do next. thanks.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!