In-Chamber Bore Sighting Laser

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
rzavaleta

Re: In-Chamber Bore Sighting Laser

Post by rzavaleta »

UPDATE:

I JUST this weekend bought a scope and a Bushnell 74100C for my Rossi Rio Grande .45-70. I started out by rotating the laser 90 degrees and marking until I'd done the full 360. The point was to find the "average center". I was a little disappointed in the result. As I was putting everything away, I decided, out of morbid curiosity, to try something with the laser.

I laid it on a table and rolled it and watched the dot travel across the wall. It bobbled so badly it would actually "disappear" as the beam intersected the tabletop! "How could a supposedly 'precision device' make it through manufacturing and be THAT 'imprecise'?" That was the question that burst through my brain. Then it hit me. When I was turning the laser on, I did what I'm guessing a LOT of people do. I turned the laser head only as far as I needed to for it to turn on. Minimalistically lazy? Possibly. I repeated the "roll test", but this time I turned the laser head ALL the way until it was firmly seated. This time the bobble was MINIMAL, and what bobble there was could possibly have been due to the imperfect surface of the cheap table I was testing it on.

Unfortunately, it was late. I had to pack it in for the night. I'll setup for a do-over tonight and share results.
ONE well-placed round beats a whole bunch of "spray & pray" any day!
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

I do like Rooster and remove the bolt and look down the bore at a target 25-50 yds away. With the RG you can have it out in a couple of minutes. That usually gets me "on the paper" on the first shot. But I do use a big target. I get rolls of white paper and put 3/4" stick on black dots on it. I aint gonna pay wally world $5.00 for 3 targets. Heck, I even peel off the dots and reuse them till the glue won't stick anymore, usually 2 or three times, since I rarely ever hit the dots (waiting for a smart remark from Pricedo here)!
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Why mess with perfection?
Works each & every time.
Never fails to get me on paper.
My first kit cost $19.95 and still works fine.
No electronic or mechanical device can replace the final sight-in on paper firing live rounds.
The device just gets you "on paper".
Of course the current fad is laser and my standards are admittedly lower than most.........I like single operation solutions instead of week long multi-phase rituals and basic yet functional stuff..........as long as it works I'm happy...........practical to a fault & the steadfast & perpetual odd-man out in regards to following along with the crowd & being swept up by popular conceptions and fads (the professional advertising executives nightmare). :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA