Rio Grande Range Day

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
akerlin

Rio Grande Range Day

Post by akerlin »

IMG_20131004_173905.jpg
Bought this 45/70 Rio Grande earlier this year. Finally got some range time with it. Was shooting some 405gr plinking hand loads that were running just under 1000fps. The 50 yard target is below.

IMG_20131004_124921-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by akerlin on 05 Oct 2013 04:55, edited 1 time in total.
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Rio Grande Range Day

Post by joec »

Looks like it is working out. I do have a question though what scope is that on there? I have the Bushnell 1.5-4.5x32 on mine but couldn't keep the rear iron sights on mine. Now I'm using a medium ring though so if yours is the high then it would also of allowed me to keep the rear sight.
Joe
akerlin

Post by akerlin »

It is a Nikon Omega muzzle loader scope with Leupold high Weaver style rings. I like the way the Omega scope looks on it. The long eye relief is really nice too.
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

Sounds like you had a good day...... Any day shooting is a good day.
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

akerlin

Post by akerlin »

Yah, though the sad thing of it is, the range I use is a US Forestry Range and they closed it down due to the federal budget crap. I think we should impeach all of them. I't makes me sick. Our government going broke, who would of thought that would of happened.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

akerlin wrote:Yah, though the sad thing of it is, the range I use is a US Forestry Range and they closed it down due to the federal budget crap. I think we should impeach all of them. I't makes me sick. Our government going broke, who would of thought that would of happened.
That "federal budget crap" is called bad math. Anybody with a good grasp of grade 3 level arithmetic and their reality-eyes open would have to conclude that this day was inevitable.
When you try and spend the same dollar half a dozen times on that many different things the financial condition that results in commonly called BROKE.
My wife and every US President from FDR onward never understood that fact.
Word War II emergency taxing & spending became the norm in America on the space program.....the arms race and cold war........Vietnam.......Korea.........Iraq.......Afghanistan.........and now possibly Iran.
Any grade 3 kid will tell you that you can only spend a dollar once and then it's gone.
You can't put a footprint on the moon, build the worlds mightiest military, maintain 2 active war fronts, fund Obama care all at the same time.
The next 1 or 2 posts will say none of that matters.............silly old math.........who worries about that dumb stuff? ........it's all about patriotism and keeping people in other nations from killing each other.
But here we are BROKE flatter than p _ _ _ _ on a plate and what got us there wasn't making prudent, intelligent, realistic choices. We were so worried about people in other nations killing each other that WE WOUND UP KILLING OURSELVES.
There are vets who fought for our country lined up at charity clinics because they can't afford health care..........yup, the very same vets that fought in all the above mentioned wars ! :twisted:
What's wrong with that picture? :twisted:
If anybody thinks this is going to help our already dismal credit rating ........think again.
We've arrived in the same sorry fiscal state our old cold war enemy the USSR (Russia) did 20 years later.

Was the group pictured in the OP obtained from a rest or shooting free hand? The reason I ask is that the rest shown looks like a table rest used for working on the rifle rather than a shooting rest. You can hold a rifle amazingly rigid from a sitting firing stance using your knees as a rest and recovery for subsequent shots is a lot quicker & more consistent without having to reposition your rifle, sandbags , etc.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

Pricedo I could not agree more........

I see a Red October 1917. Only difference is one political party from within the Govt is the driving force. The other political party has spent way more than should have been spent and is guilty as well.

Those of us who are lucky enough to have places to shoot without being dependent on a range need to be thankful...... When I lived in PA I was dependent on ranges run by the State Game Commission. I wonder if they shut them down saying there is federal money used?

Sure glad I got my rear window decal on my truck...... 45-70 the only Govt you can trust. There has to be a day of reckoning and I believe it is fast approaching.
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

But wait how can we be broke. We pay every president yearly money till they die house spokeman get the same many local state officials get the same. Amazing how most that have served us already are millionares or better and they get all these funds for retirement till death. Just ending this would free up a ton of cash. Sad as stated we have been sinking in debt for a long time. Glad I have ranges here I can shoot at as well never had an issue of not having one. I hope things can change for the sportsman in this coming decade. OP your rifle looks sexy.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!