OK I've Been Bit

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Conman

OK I've Been Bit

Post by Conman »

I have been reloading 12 and 20 gauge shotgun shells for about 13 years so it is nothing new.

However, I have not shot enough centerfire ammunition to even think about it before. Now, that someone talked me into getting a Rossi PUMA 92 in 38/357 it looks like I'm going to be doing more than my share of burning up ammo!!

I see a lot of references to the Lee Four Hole Press..................input please !!

And, if I get something like that do I get the press a la carte or the whole kit??

Thanks for any info.

Conman
runfiverun
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: OK I've Been Bit

Post by runfiverun »

i'd get the whole kit.
and then get a different scale.
the kit should have a book in it this should explain the steps [basically the same as shot shell reloading] and setting up the dies.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I don't know if this would help or not but I came up with a list of what you need beyond the Lee "Kit". It is a list of things that you might as well order at the same time you do your choice of kit, single-stage or turret.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
Conman

Post by Conman »

Ranch Dog wrote:I don't know if this would help or not but I came up with a list of what you need beyond the Lee "Kit". It is a list of things that you might as well order at the same time you do your choice of kit, single-stage or turret.
NOW, that is what I needed!!

I can never tell from reading and looking at the pictures just what comes with a kit and what needs to be added.

Thanks Ranch Dog for all the help.................now to make up my Christmas List for the Ms Conman to use.

Appreciate all the work you put into that list.

Conman
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Here is my list of what you actually need for 38/357. This uses almost 100% Lee equipment. All prices based on https://fsreloading.com/ which is about the cheapest with price/shipping as well as fastest unless back ordered.

Lee Precision Classic Turret Press (90064) - $103.99 (including 1 turret, buy others as needed for $10.38 ea.)
Lee Precision 4 Die Set .38 Special Carbide (90964) - $40.84 (works for both 38spl and 357 mag with minor adjustment)
Lee Precision Turret Press Safety Prime Update Kit (90042) - $32.00 (prime on press) or Lee Precision ERGO-PRIME (90250) - $36 (if you prefer priming off the press)

Powder Measures both Lee
Lee Precision PRO Auto DISK (90429) - $41.60 (comes with set of 4 disk with setup for Lee Classic Cast and optional parts for Lee Progressive systems included. Works great with most fine and flake powders)
Lee Precision PERFECT POWDER MEASURE (90058) - $24.78 (great with stick and large flake powders, bench mounted)

Optional
Lee Precision Bench Plate (90251) - $24.73 (comes with one metal and 3 blank wooden blocks. Additional metal plate are $11.20 ea)
Scale if you don't have one - Lee Precision LEE SAFETY SCALE RED (90681) - $21.48 (is accurate but some have problems using it, I never did) or an electronic scale running for about $25 up.
FS also sells other tools by other makers and I use their line of Franklin Arsenal equipment from brass tumblers, loading blocks, ammo boxes, bullet pullers etc. Prices here might be cheaper from Midway and others.

As for brass sizing though I own them I've found little need with most pistol calibers other than the heavier mag. type such as 44 Mag, 454 Casull etc. Never loaded 357 mag so don't know there. Never seen a need for 9mm, 45 ACP or 45 Colt when using even used factory brass.

Measuring tools I use Harbor Freight 6" Caliper and a 1" Micrometer both are close enough for most jobs.

Books can be found cheaper often and I recommend more than one. I have several from Lee, Lyman, Speer, Sierra, Hornady as well as bullet/powder makers books. Also good sources for accurate load data it the powder makers sites as most have either and up to date page (Hodgdon, IMR, Winchester etc) or a link to their current load data download in PDF format (Alliant, Accurate etc).

I have the Lee Classic Turret, Lee Classic Cast (single stage) and a Lee Hand Loader (also single stage, portable and works fine if you have little room.
Joe
ironhead7544
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by ironhead7544 »

Dont forget a manual. I would get that first. Lyman is good. Explains what you need. Lee turret is a great starter press. If you do shotshell, then rifle/pistol will be no problem.
Conman

Post by Conman »

ironhead7544 wrote:Dont forget a manual. I would get that first. Lyman is good. Explains what you need. Lee turret is a great starter press. If you do shotshell, then rifle/pistol will be no problem.
Yep, I know...but thanks for the reminder.

In all reloading the Manual is the Bible............