Just unpacked my rio grande 45-70 !

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
wll

Re: Well I think I've got it figured out ;- )

Post by wll »

wll wrote:Well, I'm going to use H4198 powder, about 38-39grs and use that for both my Remington 405gr Sp and 425gr GS Leadhead load.

Velocity should be in the ~1500+fps range and the 425gr may be a little faster because it is lead, we will see. I don't want the loads to be over the 1600fps mark for sure as I want to enjoy the shooting experience and don't need the pounding.....yet at the same time I want the load to "take care of business" if need be.

What I mean by take care of business is ... bear, big hogs. The bear and hogs can be taken with the 405 Remington. The 425gr are for deep penetration on maybe big elk, moose, maybe brown bear ..... and I don't see myself going after one of those anytime soon :- )

What are your thoughts ?

wll
Well I got nothing figured out !!!

After my range trip today with the Rio Grande and shooting factory 405 Remington standard loads, leaving my Rossi at 1350+ fps, I'm reconsidering my 45-70 load !

A 405 or 425 gr at about 1400fps is more than enough.

I think I will use 5744 powder also as from what I have read it is very consistant and milder recoiling than most other powders !

Excuse me while I soak my shoulder in ice :-)

wll
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Well I think I've got it figured out ;- )

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

Excuse me while I soak my shoulder in ice :-)

The best medicine is to go out and shoot some HOT reloads ASAP...... :lol:
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

wll

Re: Just unpacked my rio grande 45-70 !

Post by wll »

Tuco Ramirez wrote:
and not dislocate my shoulder !
Load it up and have a corpsman standing by. That way when you find yourself on the ground you can yell out Medic........ :lol:
That is not very funny ....LOL, LOL LOL

I got to tell you, the standard 405gr 1330 FPS load in a Rossi Rio Grande is no wimp load, it barks ! I have not doubt that that load can take down just about anything, and if you replace the 405grRem with a 425gr good lead solid at that goes 1350-1400 fps ... I don't think any living animal in the lower 48 could handle that, as a matter fact, you may be OK for most African game too at less than 75 yds !

wll
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

wll wrote:
Tuco Ramirez wrote:
and not dislocate my shoulder !
Load it up and have a corpsman standing by. That way when you find yourself on the ground you can yell out Medic........ :lol:
That is not very funny ....LOL, LOL LOL

I got to tell you, the standard 405gr 1330 FPS load in a Rossi Rio Grande is no wimp load, it barks ! I have not doubt that that load can take down just about anything, and if you replace the 405grRem with a 425gr good lead solid at that goes 1350-1400 fps ... I don't think any living animal in the lower 48 could handle that, as a matter fact, you may be OK for most African game too at less than 75 yds !

wll
+1
Talk about killing power and right away people think about the big belted magnum calibers like he 460 Weatherby Magnum sporting 4 tons of kinetic energy at the muzzle.
But I'm convinced that the hard cast lead bullets operate on a different dynamic. A relatively slow moving but heavy for caliber hard cast bullet seems to kill bigger animals and STOP them faster than smaller jacketed bullets with considerably more velocity & kinetic energy.
There are a lot of reports from the game hunting fields to support the above observations and conclusions.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

That is for sure kenetic energy is so destructive to vital areas. People have been killed shot in the chest but not penetrated wearing bullet proof vests that still cannot shield you from the kenetics of the bullet at volocity. It has stop peoples hearts. :o Good vital point pricedo
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!