Remain Impressed with the 38-55 Win Rio Grande!

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Remain Impressed with the 38-55 Win Rio Grande!

Post by Ranch Dog »

Spent four hours today starting at midmorning pressure testing my C380-250-RF bullet in the RG3855, this is a very impressive rifle! For the new members, I took a RG3030B and sent it to JES about 18 months ago to have rebored and rechambered to 38-55 Win. After that, I designed a bullet that fit it like a glove. A couple of months ago, I set out to pressure trace the appropriate Hodgdon powders for this combo, wanting to land somewhere between 35.0K to 40.0K PSI but when I cranked up my RSI hardware it had failed. I pondered the fate of the equipment and decided as a cast bullet designer I just hated living without it so I ponied up and bought the newer unit. Whoo... okay, that brings my story up to speed.

Shot the following powders: BL-C(2), Benchmark, H322, H335, H4198, H4895, and Varget. In a nutshell, the two contenders by a long shot are H322 and H4198. They both are very accurate and fast. I'm done with the load work for the H322, 36.5-grains is chunking the 250-grain bullet toward the target at 2035 FPS. The average pressure is 38.5K PSI with a SD of 883 PSI so the up side of the deviation is tickling 40.0K PSI. That is it for this powder. I only shoot at 50 yards with the pressure trace equipment and spend more time concentrating on the shot and not tearing anything up but the accuracy good. 1.54". It will tighten up when I shoot for accuracy without all the gear hooked up.

H4198 produced a 1.128" 5 shot group with 31.8-grains at 34.6K PSI and 1965 FPS. I'm going to throw a little more wood on the fire and bring it up to the same pressure level as the H322 to see if it will match the velocity. I'm actually expecting the accuracy of this load to tighten up with a bit more pressure on it as the was the trend in the load work and the pressure trace indicates it will move toward optimum barrel timing with the increased charge. Once this is done tomorrow. I will start working on 100 and then 200 yard accuracy. This is going to make a very good deer rifle!

This is a big pill to pop out of this carbine!
PT01.jpg
PT02.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Remain Impressed with the 38-55 Win Rio Grande!

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

Damn RD....

Get a couple more pieces of equipment on the shooting bench and we will have to change your name to Houston. That way if we have any problems we can just say...... Houston we have a problem.... :lol:
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Tuco Ramirez wrote:Damn RD....

Get a couple more pieces of equipment on the shooting bench and we will have to change your name to Houston. That way if we have any problems we can just say...... Houston we have a problem.... :lol:
Haah!

The yellow box is the pressure trace processor which is connected to the laptop via bluetooth. The laptop has the software that runs the processor. The strain gauge on the barrel is connected to the processor via the gray cable. One day, I'm sure that connection will be via bluetooth, just hasn't happened yet. Oh the chronograph. Wish the screens were via bluetooth connection as well as from the chrony to the laptop. Finally the shot timer via the cell phone. It is real important to shoot at a steady pace to keep the barrel temperature constant.

Pushing the H4198 proved worth it this morning. Going to go with the 33.0-grains of H4198.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Okay, everything worked out and I'm quite satisfied with the 33.0-grain load of H4198 pushing the C380-350-RF. 2015 FPS producing a 1.363" five shot group. Now I will move all the equipment back see if that improves any.
3855_cartridges.jpg
Here is how my three RGs stack against other with the loads that I'm shooting.
RGs_FPE.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

Great work RD!!! I like the red line info from the chart..... :D

Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Steelbanger »

I don't think I have ever seen a cartridge as photogenic as a 38-55, They sure are pretty!

I shot one of my 38-55's last week and had a really nice 100 M group with the same bullet RD is using here. The folks that have a mould ordered will be very happy when they get to shoot these bullets.

Frank
Steelbanger, NRA Life
Annual Member PRPA
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

I wanted a 92 in 357 mag. No chance of finding one anytime soon. Plenty of 30-30 around. I may have to go the 38-55 route first.

dpe.ahoy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by dpe.ahoy »

The "Baby Big Bore" has always impressed me with it's versatility. I think it has been a most under-rated cartridge. And with the bullet you designed Michael, I think it would handle most anything in the lower 48. By the way, is there still mold available? I assume, (how I hate that word), that it is sized to handle the JES rebore? If so, it should also work in my Model 375 Marlin and my #3 Ruger in 375. Your JES rebore is shooting great, what are yo going to harvest with it this year? How hard is it to find 375 gas checks? DP
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

dpe.ahoy wrote:By the way, is there still mold available? I assume, (how I hate that word), that it is sized to handle the JES rebore? If so, it should also work in my Model 375 Marlin and my #3 Ruger in 375. Your JES rebore is shooting great, what are yo going to harvest with it this year? How hard is it to find 375 gas checks? DP
The mold is the TLC380-250-RF but I size it to .378" for the JES rebore. I have no experience with the #3 but I suspect it would work good in the Marlin at .379". As far as the hunting goes, I have to "in-laws" traveling from PA to hunt whitetails here and I thought we would make it Rio Grande week as they want to fly in and use my rifles. Still waiting for different draw hunts to determine the actual pecking order for the remaining 9 weeks of our hunting season.
Michael