Another Tru-Oil Finish - RG3030B!

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Another Tru-Oil Finish - RG3030B!

Post by Ranch Dog »

Finished my RG3030B today. Following same steps that I've done on the last three or four rifles with only one exception. I no longer buff with the wet 0000 steel wool, I buff dry. I like the finish a bit better.

This rifle has extremely plain wood, not any character to it but the Tru-Oil makes it look a heck of alot better. Here are my steps.
  • Buffed it with 0000 steel wool. The finish was smooth as glass at this point.
  • Applied a single uncut coat of B&C Walnut Stain with a foam brush. I consider this a conditional item. I take and wet my finger and wipe it with the grain of the stock. This will tell you what the final finish will look like. This rifle had a very light finish so I applied one uncut stain coat and let it dry 24 hours.
  • Applied Tru-Oil Filler & Sealer with a foam brush and let cure 24 hours.
  • Buffed the stock again with 0000 steel wool and applied a coat of Tru-Oil. I did this a total of four times letting each coat cure 24 hours.
  • Applied and buffed the stock with B&C Sheen and Conditioner.
  • Applied and buffed the stock with B&C Stock Wax.
This took a total of seven days in that I leave things alone between the steps for 24 hours but the actual time involved was between 5 to 7 minutes a day. The Rossi finish might be a bit weak but I've found the wood very smooth and ready to accept the Tru-Oil. Going to start another R92 and my Wizard tomorrow.
Last edited by Ranch Dog on 19 Aug 2013 13:01, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Corrected the order in which I did the work.
Michael
kalboy

Re: Another Tru-Oil Finish!

Post by kalboy »

Very nice indeed. Good job! Your diligent procedure came thru with a great looking final product.
Evidence in person of why folks have been using these Birchwood Casey products since Noah came over
on his ark.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I like it. +guns
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
cerisecons

Post by cerisecons »

Looks great, what did it take to get the old waxy rossi finish off before you started the fill? I've taken 2 rounds of stripper to mine and still have a residue on my R92.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

cerisecons wrote:Looks great, what did it take to get the old waxy rossi finish off before you started the fill? I've taken 2 rounds of stripper to mine and still have a residue on my R92.
I did not remove the Rossi finish only buffed it with the 0000 steel wool along the grain of the wood. That's it. On my Rossi R92 chambered in 480 Ruger, the stock was almost black in color. What I ended up doing with it was washing it with water as I buffed it with the steel wool. That is the only thing that would lighten it. Maybe your finish has reacted to the stripper but I've found the finish rather dry. It will also sand off but then you need to worry about the metal fit.

Please note that I corrected the order of my steps in the opening post. I read through it today and realized I goofed up the order of the stain and the sealer.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

There are enough complicated things in life so I tend to keep simple things simple.
Why make a 3 day regimen out of something that should take and hour at the most?
I didn't buff or fluff a thing ..........just slopped the Tru-Oil on using any lint free material as an applicator and worked it in and let it set & cure.
The guns look great.
The guns I saw (on here & elsewhere) where the original Rossi "shoe polish" was entirely removed looked like they had been stored in a vat of bleach.........anemic & unnatural. The wood needs the "shoe polish" pigment to look natural.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:There are enough complicated things in life so I tend to keep simple things simple.
To each their own. I see my work as simple as it gets. Five to seven minutes of this and move on to something else. Honestly, I'm not going to "slop" anything on a firearm I own.

[hr][/hr]
cerisecons wrote:Looks great, what did it take to get the old waxy rossi finish off before you started the fill? I've taken 2 rounds of stripper to mine and still have a residue on my R92.
See this new topic I've added: Rossi Finish Removal
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

The Tru-Oil mixes with the resident Rossi "shoe polish"and the amalgam saturates the stock wood and the surplus is absorbed by the lint-free applicator.
I work and rub just enough to prevent pooling.
If I figure the Rossi finish & Tru-Oil amalgam will be too dark I use Double Boiled Linseed oil which is a color neutral fixer and preserver.
I like the stocks legacy dark but not too dark.
I use my real legacy pre-64 Winchester 94s as a template. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA