Project Complete! (Whew!!!)

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
RevJammer

Project Complete! (Whew!!!)

Post by RevJammer »

I have posted a couple of times about this...

Ok, finally after about 2 1/2 weeks and a couple of minor disasters, I have finished the stock on my Rossi 92.

I learned a WHOLE lot in the process and overall I'm proud of the end result. There are a couple of small "glitches" in the finish, but I sure ain't startin over!!!

Here's some pics...
Original condition...
Rossi Original.jpg
Project complete....
Rossi Re-do tight.jpg
A little closer shot...
Rossi Re-do close.jpg

RJ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Project Complete! (Whew!!!)

Post by Ranch Dog »

Well done! Looks very good to me!
Michael
dpe.ahoy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by dpe.ahoy »

Looks very good! How about filling in the details on what you did and what products you used. DP
RevJammer

Post by RevJammer »

dpe.ahoy wrote:Looks very good! How about filling in the details on what you did and what products you used. DP

I'd be happy to... I think I did in another post... but no problem running it down again.

Started with 400 grit sandpaper (wet) and lightly sanded (was not trying to remove material, just be sure it was clean and smooth).

Then starting coating with Birchwood Casey "Tru-Oil" Gun Stock Finish. Because my work space is my garage with no a/c, drying times varied greatly. After each coat dried I would buff with 0000 steel wool (wet), again just smoothing the surface.

After about 10 coats (and a minor repair when I chipped a piece off) I waxed it with Johnsons Paste Wax.

If anyone has questions, or if I missed anything, let me know!

RJ
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I am curious which route you took in the chip repair please explain and could you take a pic of this area now that it is repaired as we can all learn from this as well looks awesome great wood and work you have done. +guns +corn
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
RevJammer

Post by RevJammer »

akuser47 wrote:I am curious which route you took in the chip repair please explain and could you take a pic of this area now that it is repaired as we can all learn from this as well looks awesome great wood and work you have done. +guns +corn

Aku... thanks for the interest...

With the naked eye, you cannot see the line that you can see in this blown up pic.
Rossi repaired chip- closeup.jpg
Rossi Repaired chip 2 - closeup.jpg
The chip was from right on the corner of the bottom of the stock where the bottom tang slides in. The chip was about a 1/4 inch long and about half that wide. It was almost not even noticeable when I put the stock on without the chip.

I knew there was no pressure on this chip. I used Gorilla Glue and a toothpick. I knew even 1 drop of glue would saturate the chip so I dipped the toothpick in the glue and used that to smear the glue on the chip. Then according to the directions, held the chip in place (under pressure) for 30 seconds and let it dry for 24 hours. Once that was done I completed the project by waxing the stock.

I think that covers everything.

RJ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Nice can't even tell it ever happened great work. until you really look with that blown up pic. I love the finish +guns
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Maximumbob54
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I always love the way these turn out but I'm too chicken to do it to mine for fear of not wanting to set it on the shooting bench ever again!!! :lol: