Lever Rifle/Single Action Pistol Fun Match

Any topic not related to the various forum categories
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
ironhead7544
250 Shots
250 Shots

Lever Rifle/Single Action Pistol Fun Match

Post by ironhead7544 »

At a local gunshop/range, we are considering putting on a match. No special equipment needed, not even a holster. The basic course will be score divided by time, like the combat matches. Trying to keep it simple, the target will be an 8.5 by 11 while sheet of paper with a 4 inch orange circle. Hits on the paper will count and the orange will serve as a tie breaker. There will be 3 rifle targets at random distances out to 50 yards. Starting with and empty chamber, all 3 targets must get 5 hits each. Mandatory 5 shot reload on the clock. May have a simulated field rest, fence post or log to use as a rest if desired. 2 pistol targets, random distances out to 15 yards. Standing, 5 shots each, timed separately.

May have rimfire course, might be a little different.

Will probably set up to be a small fee for each 25 round course which you could shoot as many times as you like to try and better your score. Also, we may have some rifles and pistols available to use.

What do you think of this? I would really like to have your opinions. Would you like to shoot in a match like this? Thanks, Bob.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Lever Rifle/Single Action Pistol Fun Match

Post by Ranch Dog »

To me, it sounds like fun. The simpler it is the better!
Michael
Deleted User 547

Post by Deleted User 547 »

I'd shoot in it. Seems like fun.
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Greetings
That is a good sounding way to have fun. When Up north there I have run military rifle shoots with bowling pins at 50 and 100 yards. Any ammo, any military "type" rifle and have at it. Always was alot of fun being defied by a mere bowling pin.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Model 52 »

Having only paper targets is a little less fun as there is less immediate feedback.

Bowling pins are always fun. Leave the bad guys white and paint the hostages and innocent bystanders red, adding time or deducting points for hitting the good guys.

One thing we liked to do for the last stage is a confidence target with 3 increasingly smaller circles. The first shot at the large circle is mandatory and if you hit it (in it or at least cutting the line) you deduct 5 seconds. If you miss you add 5 seconds to the time. The next smaller circle is optional and deducts or adds 10 seconds to your time, and same with the smallest circle, except it adds or deducts 15 seconds. So it requires both speed and accuracy, not only in shooting but in deciding whether or not to take the shot. For a pistol target 5 yards works fine with half dollar, quarter and dime sized circles. It requires that the shooter know exactly where there gun shoots at that distance.
ironhead7544
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by ironhead7544 »

Guys: Thanks for the replies! For the first one, we will be trying to make it real simple and cheap to run. I was involved with starting a combat pistol club back in the 70ties so I am somewhat familiar with what needs to be done. If we continue with the matches we will add more to it.

Anyone who looks at this, please feel free to reply.
cerisecons

Post by cerisecons »

This sounds great, but I'll bet you are nowhere near Southern California. As far as I know, cowboy competitions are not that popular here, except for the rodeo part.