R92 45 Colt vs. TruOil

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: R92 45 Colt vs. TruOil

Post by joec »

I have some stuff I bought at Lowes some time ago. It is like a jell and you wipe it on wait about 10 minutes then rinse it off and let it dry. I took not only the stain of my pistol grips but also removed the Polyurethane layer over the top and I had nothing but pure clean wood. Took about an hour to dry and then took the stain I wanted perfectly.
Joe
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

I love Tru-Oil and think it does a wonderful job.
Sometimes you don't want to replace or modify a finish but just want to protect what's there.
I find that linseed oil applied sparingly does that job very well.
I have an old pre-64 Winchester 94/30-30 that has 80% of it's original wood & metal finish.
I won't mess with the degraded bluing (patina) & the stock patches where the original finish has worn off.
A very light coat of linseed oil soaks in & protects the wood but doesn't alter the original finish in any way.

**I couldn't help but compare/contrast the time & element matured wood finish on the old original Winny 94 and the months old Tru-Oil/Rossi shoe polish amalgam finish on my Rossi M92/454 as they sat together in the gun safe and they look almost identical.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:I couldn't help but compare/contrast the time & element matured wood finish on the old original Winny 94 and the months old Tru-Oil/Rossi shoe polish amalgam finish on my Rossi M92/454 as they sat together in the gun safe and they look almost identical.
This is exactly why I have come to like the simple Rossi finish. I can invest an hour of time with Tru-Oil now while the rifle is new and update it with a single coat as needed and I, the owner, have created something that will last many years once I am gone.

I still maintain the the forearm and butt stock are of two different types of wood.
Michael
johnreilly

Post by johnreilly »

Ranch, I have another newbie question. I waxed my stock and forend in an effort to make them look better (Didn't work). Should I remove the wax before applying the Truoil?

Thanks,
John
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

johnreilly wrote:Ranch, I have another newbie question. I waxed my stock and forend in an effort to make them look better (Didn't work). Should I remove the wax before applying the Truoil?

Thanks,
John
Yes, get on their web site and download their refinishing guide. I believe the have a wood prep that does this.
Michael
johnreilly

Post by johnreilly »

Ok, I have 2 coats on the stock and the first coat on the forearm. I cleaned them with mineral spirits and buffed with 0000 steel wool just like Ranch suggested. It is amazing how the first coat gets totally absorbed into the wood and disappears. The second coat on the stock really brought out the color and grain that was absent with the original Rossi finish.

Give me a few more days to get some additional coats on and I'll post some pics. I'm really enjoying this so far.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

johnreilly wrote:Give me a few more days to get some additional coats on and I'll post some pics. I'm really enjoying this so far.
Very good John, it is so easy it is fun!
Michael
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

I got my 45 Colt done yesterday with 8 coats of TruOil followed by 3 coats of the Stock Sheen & Conditioner then two coats of the wax. It flat looks remarkable compared to the original finish. It also amazes me how the grain pattern is always so much stronger in the forearm wood than the stock. Next project is to tackle the Rio Grande 45-70. Oh and finally figured out what the magazine tube wouldn't budge. It was due to the pin section being really tight. Actually got it off and took some rolled up sand paper to the inside of it. It is still tight but not so tight the tube wouldn't budge at all. Got it off by gently tapping with a plastic hammer.
Joe