44 mag. 300gr lead bullets in R92?

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
OnTarget
Founding Member
Founding Member

44 mag. 300gr lead bullets in R92?

Post by OnTarget »

Can you use 44 mag 300 gr. lead bullets in the R92's? I am using accurate #9 and the min OAL is not even close to working. Any input? I am guessing it isn't going to work with the R92.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 44 mag. 300gr lead bullets in R92?

Post by Ranch Dog »

There are hundred of different lead bullets out there with a wide range of nose profiles, so you would need to be more specific about which bullet you are talking about. I shoot my TLC432-300-RF, sized at .430", it cycles just as slick as can be at 1.61".

It is also important to remember that the ammo or components designed for ANY of the R92 cartridge chamberings are designed with one purpose in mind, fitting the cylinder of a revolver. So some effort must be made to find something that works moving from the tube, up the carrier, and into the chamber of the lever gun. Not all 357 Mag, 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 454 Casull, or 480 Ruger ammunition or components might be up to the task.
Michael
runfiverun
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by runfiverun »

many of the individual rifles themselves are fairly forgiving on oal.
my 45's will exceed saami oals quite easily,my 44 mag will take longer also but i had to modify the stop on the cartridge lifter.
the origional winchesters are the same way too,one of my 25-20's will feed long bullets and one won't. [shrug]
my 357 rifle will feed bullets so long that they stick out the end of my rossi revolvers cylinder,but won't feed short 38 specials.

you might be able to file the little stop on the lifter to take the longer oal,so it will clear the internals on the way up to be presented to the chamber.
OnTarget
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by OnTarget »

RD you will have to forgive my newbie reloading ways. I picked up these 300 gr lead bullets at the lgs and all they said in the box was 300 gr 44 mag, they are a flat nose bullet with one groove with red lube in it. Is there a good chart somewhere that goes over all the different kinds of lead bullet types? I appreciate all your info, learning as I go. Thanks!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

OnTarget wrote:Is there a good chart somewhere that goes over all the different kinds of lead bullet types?
No chart that I'm aware of. About the only thing that I can recommend is going with an outfit like Beartooth Bullets, Marshall Stanton would be most helpful in making the selection. I know my bullets work, Jerry at Carolina Cast sells them.
Michael
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Greetings
You can try deeper seating those bullets and crimping on the first band to get to the proper OAL. If still too long then plan B.
Seeing as 44 mag brass is generally easy to come by you could shorten a few pieces till the OAL of a complete cartridge will cycle. Leave the primer out. Lay the bullet next to the brass with the case mouth alinged with the crimp groove. Get a rough measurement bullet nose to brass base. If that measurement far exceeds 1.610 then you now have a rough idea how much to trim the brass to get you close. I would trim one piece so OAL is that 1.610.
After trimming insert bullet (no primer) to crimp groove. Insert dummy round and try it.
That is my basic method to any long nosed bullet in my lever flippers.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
runfiverun
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by runfiverun »

it mght work out in a 44 special case too.
some of the silhouette guy's i shoot with use 38 cases and 180-200 gr cast boolits to make a faux oal.
they use loads about in the middle to make things work.
you might wanna check magma engineerings websight for the boolit mold too.
jinshot

Post by jinshot »

hello,
can you tell us how did it go?
i m thinking about buying the 310gr lee mold.

i m new at reloading and it sreally complicated to find infos, there are so much criterias to take in considerations...

i heard lighter bullets are better for the 92s slow twist rate, is that correct?

but bigger bullet=bigger kick =bigger fun right?
please forgive and correct my english :) frogeater here!

Rossi 92 44 mag 24 inch barrel
Rossi Coach gun 12g
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

jinshot wrote:i m thinking about buying the 310gr lee mold.
I would think that is would be a very good fit for the R92. It is the bullet that brought me to casting as caused me to spend quite a bit of effort designing bullets for my Marlins. Those 44 Mags and 444 Marlins need a .432" bullet so the C430-310-RF is not a good fit in that it dropped a .430 bullet. The Rossi needs a .430" bullet so the greater diameter is correct.
jinshot wrote:i m new at reloading and its really complicated to find infos, there are so much criterias to take in considerations...
Yeah, a lot to the reloading and just as much considerations into casting your own. If you have time available, it is rewarding.
jinshot wrote:i heard lighter bullets are better for the 92s slow twist rate, is that correct?

I've never put much worry into "rate of twist", the 444 Marlin's 1:38 cured me of that. It shoots very large bullets very well. The lessons I've learned is to push them very hard. I have three 44 Mag bullets available for me to shoot; a 250, 270, and 300-grain. My preference in the Rossi is the 300-grain. I feel like your last statement in that my rifles are involved in quite a bit of boar hunting... shoot the heaviest bullet that shoots well.
Michael
ironhead7544
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by ironhead7544 »

jinshot wrote:hello,
can you tell us how did it go?
i m thinking about buying the 310gr lee mold.

i m new at reloading and it sreally complicated to find infos, there are so much criterias to take in considerations...

i heard lighter bullets are better for the 92s slow twist rate, is that correct?

The 300 gr bullets are not supposed to be accurate in the Rossi barrel twist but your rifle may not know that. You will have to try it. I had a 24 inch Marlin Cowboy that would group well with 300 gr bullets at 50 yards but was keyholing at 100 with the same load. I think the Ranch Dog 265 gr 44 bullet will be ideal for the Rossi as an all around bullet. Havent tried it yet but will get around to it soon.