Newbie reloader

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Newbie reloader

Post by Rooster59 »

I went through the Lee Loader stage to experiment with reloading first. I still have them for 30-30 and 45-70 and won't sell them. Now 6 years into it, and 6 calibers deep, I've evolved to the Lee Classic 4-hole turret press. I found early on the most time-consuming part was resetting the dies each time on a single stage press.

For whatever reason, the 30 WCF and 35 Rem Lee dies don't come with an expander die so I have 1 of their universal expanders in each of those turrets.

Next on the agenda is a second set of carbide dies for 38/357. That set still gets re-adjusted because my wife has a 357 rifle and S&W Ladysmith 38 she carries.

The Lee 2nd Edition was very helpful in learning how to use their tools as well as some online videos they produced. I have a Lyman 48th that is very useful. A nearby buddy who has reloaded for 30+ years has been helpful saving me $$ on additional manuals by sharing Hornady and Speer data on a select 2 or 3 calibers with specific goals of mine.

Enough rambling, the wife has today off to help counter the fiscal cliff negative affect on the economy. Hopefully I can find some large pistol primers in between shopping for pillows, toaster ovens, etc. :)

Jeff
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Just picked up the new Hornady manual #9, Nosler manual #7 and Berger Bullets manual #1 recently.
I have cupboards filled with old & new loading data manuals.
I particularly like the manuals that give the pressure readings for starting and maximum loads.
The pressures generated in a universal receiver pressure barrel will likely be different from those generated in my rifles but the data is useful in conjecturing test loads.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Rooster59 wrote:For whatever reason, the 30 WCF and 35 Rem Lee dies don't come with an expander die so I have 1 of their universal expanders in each of those turrets.
Jeff, I've been wanting to get back to this post of some time but it took a while to find it. The expander from the Lee 303 British die set will leave the case mouth at .311" and can be used with the 30-30 sizing die. The part numcber is SE2358 and it is $3. Lee will also make custom made expanders for $10 but it is just as easy to buy a larger diameter from another die set and turn it down with emory cloth. To order parts of the Lee site just open the different die set and use the "parts" link.
Michael
ironhead7544
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by ironhead7544 »

Rooster59 wrote:I went through the Lee Loader stage to experiment with reloading first. I still have them for 30-30 and 45-70 and won't sell them. Now 6 years into it, and 6 calibers deep, I've evolved to the Lee Classic 4-hole turret press. I found early on the most time-consuming part was resetting the dies each time on a single stage press.

For whatever reason, the 30 WCF and 35 Rem Lee dies don't come with an expander die so I have 1 of their universal expanders in each of those turrets.

Next on the agenda is a second set of carbide dies for 38/357. That set still gets re-adjusted because my wife has a 357 rifle and S&W Ladysmith 38 she carries.

The Lee 2nd Edition was very helpful in learning how to use their tools as well as some online videos they produced. I have a Lyman 48th that is very useful. A nearby buddy who has reloaded for 30+ years has been helpful saving me $$ on additional manuals by sharing Hornady and Speer data on a select 2 or 3 calibers with specific goals of mine.

Enough rambling, the wife has today off to help counter the fiscal cliff negative affect on the economy. Hopefully I can find some large pistol primers in between shopping for pillows, toaster ovens, etc. :)

Jeff
The rifle dies have an expander button on the decapping rod. They are meant for jacked bullets and in general opening the case mouth like a pistol die does is not needed. For cast bullets in rifles there are dies made just for this. Lyman has the "M" die and other companies have similar ones. I dislike pulling that ball back up through the case after sizing so I generally use an M die for rifle loads too. I just do away with the decapper ball.

Regarding the 38/357 dies you can use a spacer that is the length of the difference between the 2 cases. Someone makes them, dont remember who. Might save you a few bucks.
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

All good advice. You can't go wrong asking questions here.

I'll add that when I was pondering the move to a turret style press I viewed some videos Lee links from their website. The short videos showed the press in action which helped me understand how it would affect my current loading processes. There are other videos on their site as well as some useful ones on youtube. There are zillions on youtube so you may have to pick and choose to find those made by intelligent reloaders versus some that are totally ignorant.
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
jinshot

Post by jinshot »

hi there,
how is it going for you ontarget?
i just spend the night seting up my lee pro 1000, i know it s not ideal for starters but i got it at cheap price never used so..

2 ""problems"" tho
setting the press was a pain, it s still not perfect but it s ok. the primer feeder... well there s tons on it on the net. second is i have a 4 set dies.
did you get the 3 dies set?

so i clean, i deprime all at once, reclean, then load.

what do you load?

i could only buy 215gr swc, i have a 240gr swc lee cast, but hadnt time to find lead.
i use vectan A0 (dont know if you guys have it in the states).

using the disk vol. loader (lee), i ve prepared 20 rounds each of 0.65g, 0.7g, 0.75g, 0.80g. plus a few 85+ for the heck ^^
i have no chrony atm but i ll ask some people at the range, it should be around 380-450ms, i m looking for precision at 200m.
it s gaz checked of course.

i hope you ll keep the thread alive there are few post on 44mag with 24inch barrel.

good shooting.

ps; i m a newbie but my bench is a mess... i dont like it it s kind of dangerous, i find..
please forgive and correct my english :) frogeater here!

Rossi 92 44 mag 24 inch barrel
Rossi Coach gun 12g