Crimp question

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Crimp question

Post by joec »

I've never loaded a jacketed bullet with this kind of shape before. All I've done have been 9mm and 45 ACP FMJ which take a taper crimp.

I got a box of Freedom Arms 260 gr and 300 gr JFP recently. I'm not sure what would be the best crimp for these bullets and hope the picture below you can make out the type of crimp groove on them. I'm thinking perhaps the RD FCD for the 45 Colt but not sure. Thanks for any input on this.
bullets-11-2002.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joe
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Crimp question

Post by Missionary »

Greetings
Have used the FCD on numerous caliber .45 Colt loads in my two Rossi's and never had then slip. Those grooves look deep enough that there should not be any problem.
My simple crimp test I use is to crimp one, put the bullet nose on the bench edge and with a flat wood block on the case head push on it with my palm. If it can take that it will hold in a mag tube. I only weigh 150 pounds so my pressure may vary from lets say a 250 pound feller pushing.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Thanks Mike I think I got it done. I just did one as a dummy round and it looks good.
Joe
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

Hey Joe....

I use the Lee factory crimp for just about everything. Thus far I have never had an issue. Anymore if it is related to reloading I buy nothing but Lee. I have had real good results with their products. Not to say the others don't make quality products.... I just like Lee. Let us know what you come up with.
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Tuco Ramirez wrote:Hey Joe....

I use the Lee factory crimp for just about everything. Thus far I have never had an issue. Anymore if it is related to reloading I buy nothing but Lee. I have had real good results with their products. Not to say the others don't make quality products.... I just like Lee. Let us know what you come up with.
I use Lee also for the most part but don't have a FCD in 454 as they don't make one. I do have the Ranch Dog collet type in 45 colt and tried it which worked well at least on a dummy round. I'm going to load up some with Lil'Gun from 29 to 31 gr which is according to Hornady with the FA 300 gr JFP bullets I have. I will work up another for the 260 gr later as I have a box of them by Magtech to use first in the gun. I use a Lee Classic Turret press and have a turret setup with just 45 cal crimp dies as I use Lyman and RCBS expander dies as I just like the way they work better than the Lee expander does. At 29 gr it is 39800 CUP and 31 is 45000 CUP.
Joe
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

How is it grouping? Bottom line is results. Find what works best and go with it. Lee needs to get busy with a FCD for that cal..... :lol:
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Tuco Ramirez wrote:How is it grouping? Bottom line is results. Find what works best and go with it. Lee needs to get busy with a FCD for that cal..... :lol:
I'll let you know on the grouping when I get to the range either Tuesday or Wednesday. Most of the Lee 454 Casull dies are really 45 Colt for the most part. The only one different is the sizing die in the 3 die set. The seating die and powder through die are both the same as the 45 Colt.
Joe
ironhead7544
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by ironhead7544 »

Heavy loads for a revolver or lever gun need a good crimp. The 454C revolver has a good bit of recoil so there should be a proper crimp groove in their bullets. I would call and ask them what they recommend.