Most Aerodynamically Efficient Bullet For .44 Magnum?

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
BigIron44

Most Aerodynamically Efficient Bullet For .44 Magnum?

Post by BigIron44 »

What's the most aerodynamically efficient bullet for the .44 Magnum? I'd like to flatten my long range trajectory as much as possible. Do aerodynamics even matter for .44M velocities or are the only real gains made by simply increasing the speed, like max load 180gr bullets or something?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Most Aerodynamically Efficient Bullet For .44 Magnum?

Post by Ranch Dog »

BigIron44 wrote:What's the most aerodynamically efficient bullet for the .44 Magnum? I'd like to flatten my long range trajectory as much as possible. Do aerodynamics even matter for .44M velocities or are the only real gains made by simply increasing the speed, like max load 180gr bullets or something?
The flattest shooting would be the Hornady FTX ammo. What you want the bullet for use with paper, steel, or game?
Michael
BigIron44

Post by BigIron44 »

All of the above, I'd like to come up with a standard load and really get to know it. Is there anything I can look at online that gives good real world results regarding that LeveRevolution ammo?
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I know it does not help to post from the manufacturer but this is what they have listed on their web site for the 20" barrrel it seems to hold it's velocity very well so I would bet this would be GTG I doubt many other projectiles would perform like this. Just make sure you check into it cause I bought the .357 FTX and found I had to trim the brass to use this bullet I do not know if this is the case for the .44 somthing else to ponder.
http://www.hornady.com/store/44-Mag-225 ... Revolution
Last edited by akuser47 on 05 Nov 2012 14:32, edited 1 time in total.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

akuser47 wrote: Just make sure you check into it cause I bought the .357 FTX and found I had to trim the brass to use this bullet I do not know if this is the case for the .44 somthing else to ponder.
This is a problem for the reloader. Once you commit a case to FTX use, because of the trimming it renders the case from being used with most other bullets as it is too short. It is also why I stopped buying Hornady brass for the 444 Marlin, 45-70 Govt, and 450 Marlin (no longer have it). I have not bought any Hornady 44 Mag but I would want to measure it before I bought it based on my experience with their decision not to cut to SAAMI specs. I've since switched from Hornady to any other brand of brass.
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Yep I took a file and very slightly notched the rim on my FTX cases so I can always be sure I do not mix up my brass witch would be tough to do any ways as they are alot of diff. in case O.A.L. standard is 1.29 and with hornady 140 grain FTX it needs cut down to 1.25 big difference. I have not really tested my loads yet to see if it is worth committing more cases to the ftx 50 so far. One of these days I will test it out to see if it was worth the trouble. I think they look cool though and an FTX in .44 would look even better. This is info for my .357 mag with 140 grain FTX bullets.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
BigIron44

Post by BigIron44 »

Looking at this chart from Buffalo Bore

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l ... tail&p=232

it seems like the FTX isn't any more efficient than the roughly similar weight and velocity Deer Grenade. It does seem like below a certain velocity aerodynamics don't matter nearly as much as speed. Based on what I'm seeing I'm guessing that .44 magnum velocities for most loads are below that threshold.
ironhead7544
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by ironhead7544 »

RCBS has a 240 gr GC 44 bullet for silhouette shooting that looks good for long range.

The 250 Keith bullet made the way he designed it was meant for long range.

I cant remember any experiments for 44 Magnum along those lines but it would be interesting to try.
Wills Point Pete

Post by Wills Point Pete »

Really, at the velocity of the .44, at least in a handgun, comparing the trajectories is like a gaggle of Second Lieutenants comparing seniority in case the General drops dead. Just pick the bullet that does what you need it to and get used to how it flies.
44-40 Willy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 44-40 Willy »

I've been thinking about the 357 FTX bullet and the need for shorter brass when loading it. Instead of shortening 357 brass, wouldn't it work in a 38 Special case using +P+ loads? I'm not very keen on shortening any brass I don't have to.
Navy Arms 1892 - 357 Mag - 24" Octagon heavy barrel.
Rossi 62 Octagon 22LR