Here is my Puma "Scout"

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Here is my Puma "Scout"

Post by Ranch Dog »

Picked up my sight unseen NIB Rossi today. It ended up being a LSI Puma of A. Rossi manufacture which is fine by me. Clean as a whistle and action is like silk, moving my 300-grain bullet from tube to chamber without any effort. This new rifle didn't need any cleaning, not what I was expecting in that I anticipated a rifle right off the boat packed in grease.

It does have the bolt safety that pricedo favors, Just messing with you ;) . I did purchase the Steve's Gunz Button Style Safety Replacement Plug. It also has the yellow magazine follower but already have Steve's metal replacement sitting here as well. What I like less than the safety is the saddle ring. I am use to them on the Marlins and Winchesters and very disappointed in this setup. What is up with the fence staple they use to attach the ring to the frame? I have better looking staples in some of my 35-year old pasture fences. :( That part should be a brass stud oriented so that the ring passes through it horizontally so that the ring is always down and flat. As it is, it either flops forward or aft. Not hunt friendly as it will always be flopping back and forth. This isn't going to last on my rifle.

Anyway, please. 2X long-eye relief scope on Weaver medium Quad-Locks. The add on comb provides a perfect line up. The rifle and scope less ammo weighs 6 1/2# on the dot. I need to get some ammo loaded for it and sighted in. Hogs are tearing things up!

Oh the skull is that of an nilgai, a large antelope that wanders the South Texas coastal plains. I whacked that one with a 444 Marlin.
Michael
OnTarget
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Here is my Puma "Scout"

Post by OnTarget »

Love the look of that set up! Good looking gun. I am really interested in putting a small red dot or holograph on my 16" 92, but I am not sure how hard it would be to put the rail on. Just think it would help with getting on target quicker, 6' tall with this little rifle can make it difficult to get on sight quick.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:Picked up my sight unseen NIB Rossi today. It ended up being a LSI Puma of A. Rossi manufacture which is fine by me. Clean as a whistle and action is like silk, moving my 300-grain bullet from tube to chamber without any effort. This new rifle didn't need any cleaning, not what I was expecting in that I anticipated a rifle right off the boat packed in grease.

The Rossi 92 with the pronounced cheek piece & forward mounted scope reminds me of the futuristic stage weapons the actors carried on the old Buck Rogers serial features they showed at the movie theater when we were kids.

It does have the bolt safety that pricedo favors, Just messing with you ;) . I did purchase the Steve's Gunz Button Style Safety Replacement Plug. It also has the yellow magazine follower but already have Steve's metal replacement sitting here as well. What I like less than the safety is the saddle ring. I am use to them on the Marlins and Winchesters and very disappointed in this setup. What is up with the fence staple they use to attach the ring to the frame? I have better looking staples in some of my 35-year old pasture fences. :( That part should be a brass stud oriented so that the ring passes through it horizontally so that the ring is always down and flat. As it is, it either flops forward or aft. Not hunt friendly as it will always be flopping back and forth. This isn't going to last on my rifle.

Anyway, please. 2X long-eye relief scope on Weaver medium Quad-Locks. The add on comb provides a perfect line up. The rifle and scope less ammo weighs 6 1/2# on the dot. I need to get some ammo loaded for it and sighted in. Hogs are tearing things up!

Oh the skull is that of an nilgai, a large antelope that wanders the South Texas coastal plains. I whacked that one with a 444 Marlin.
My 16" .44 Mag Amadeo Rossi didn't have the saddle ring or the safety.
If I was you I'd take that noisy sucker of a saddle ring off of there and do a little grinding, polishing and re-bluing et voila, "What saddle ring?"
Other than a little rust in the action that I washed & worked out with dechlorinated brake parts cleaner like Nate Kiowa shows in his DVD my .44 was pretty decent out of the box and after the Remoil lube job and about 100 cycle strokes was slick as frog snot.
I didn't add the weight & encumbrance of a scope cause I can still shoot iron sights pretty good with my glasses on. I don't have a problem with 4.8 pounds + ammo as the trail carry weight of a gun.
I put a Quake "The Claw" sling on the gun which requires drilling a small hole for the conventional swivel ring in the butt stock.
The Claw has a choker loop arrangement for the front end which doesn't need one of the magazine tube bands which I hate & it won't slip off & has no metal parts to rattle & spook deer.
The scope on my Chiappa Mare's Leg has more to do with the spatial relations between my master eye and the iron sights which preclude shooting the gun while shouldered using the iron sights.
I even kept the iron sights optional on my .30-30 Rio Grande with the Warne QD mounts. I had to file a channel in the top of the scope mount base to permit full visibility of the back sight but I won't be out of the hunt if I bust my scope.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Thanks for the input. All of my rifles are scoped to help deal with the shades of gray experienced in the South Texas brush, even the animals reflect the color. Beyond about 25 yards, it is tough to focus on the front sight against the solid sheet of gray. I know as a landowner since 1991, I've never seen another hunter show up here with open or peep sights. In my lifetime of hunting here, I can only remember two fellows hunting with them and that is back in the 60's. You see them on "truck" rifles or rifles for use in a self defense role. I've had some very nice peep setups come in on used Marlins I've purchased. They are great on my range but I loose daylight in hunting situations once the sun hits the horizon.

Thanks for the tip on "The Claw". I don't use slings while hunting. Everything here tends to grab any loose item or at least leave a sticker or thorn in it for you to experience later. I keep one in my pack for rifles with swivels but have never added any swivels to the rifles without. After looking at them, I bought The Claw Shotgun Sling as it seems like the best alternative.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

The NcStar has been placed on the rifle conditionally. It is the only long-eye relief scope I could come up with quickly. I am pretty surprised at the clarity but have no experience with them. I do have a Bushnell Banner Phantom but those scopes do not have a round tube as they had a specialize mount to lend them to revolver mounting. I'm watching the auction sites for a Burris Scout but...
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Ranch Dog wrote: I know as a landowner since 1991, I've never seen another hunter show up here with open or peep sights. In my lifetime of hunting here, I can only remember two fellows hunting with them and that is back in the 60's.
Hey pricedo, you will get a kick out of this. My momma told me to never say never! One of my hunters came up to the house just now after hog hunting this morning. He was real proud to show me what he was hunting with. A Winchester 94 chambered in 32 Win Spl... with open sights! I told him about this conversation and that he was the first and third for me! This fellow started here as a AR and bolt hunter and has slowly worked his way to leverguns. His first was a angle-eject 94 and then a Marlin so he will probably work at it. Very clean 94 that he bought at a pawn shop in Houston for $300.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:
Ranch Dog wrote: I know as a landowner since 1991, I've never seen another hunter show up here with open or peep sights. In my lifetime of hunting here, I can only remember two fellows hunting with them and that is back in the 60's.
Hey pricedo, you will get a kick out of this. My momma told me to never say never! One of my hunters came up to the house just now after hog hunting this morning. He was real proud to show me what he was hunting with. A Winchester 94 chambered in 32 Win Spl... with open sights! I told him about this conversation and that he was the first and third for me! This fellow started here as a AR and bolt hunter and has slowly worked his way to leverguns. His first was a angle-eject 94 and then a Marlin so he will probably work at it. Very clean 94 that he bought at a pawn shop in Houston for $300.
We gotta start getting back to basics.
When I first started hunting deer and moose were shot with iron sighted thutty-thuttys and surplus tree-o-trees shooting "notched" FMC surplus ammo cause who could afford factory SPs and you never saw a scope on a .22.
My grand dad popped deer with a Stevens .32 rim fire.
Now you need the latest super-magnum and a Schmidt & Bender 5-30x50mm or some space age Nightforce gizmo to hunt the same animals that fell to iron sighted legacy firearms half a century ago.
The way I look at it we've all been HAD.
The gun companies fed the sports magazine writers a bunch of BS about needing the latest & greatest super this or magnum that to take game & we swallowed it hook line & sinker.
We've all fallen for the big sales pitch and sold off or relegated our perfectly adequate legacy equipment to dusty closets and attics and emptied our wallets into the insatiable maw of the collective corporate greed of the gun & ammo companies.
Halleluiah to the Gimmick Gods.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
runfiverun
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by runfiverun »

my favorite is "we had to take it hunting" articles...really.
it's somewhere between the 308 and the 300 win mag in velocity and bullet weight.
[ duh, yeah they call it a 30-06 in the rest of the world]
i don't need to see a deer shot with it to know it will work.
lets see you hunt with something cool like a 8x56r,or a 44-77.
or a whole group of hunters with 357's,
[somebody needs to tell rossi there's other calibers out there that work in the 92 platform]
and 44-40's doing a west texas deer hunt before the rut,without a feeder,and no guide,
with ammo they worked up themselves.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

runfiverun wrote:somebody needs to tell rossi there's other calibers out there that work in the 92 platform
The original '92 cartridges would be real nice; 32-20, 38-40, and the 44-40 Win. That's where I'm at with the Rio Grande. If Rossi would add the 32 Win Spl and 38-55 Win between the 30-30 Win and the 45-70 Govt., I believe they would turn a lot of heads. The good for them would be that customers that are interested in these cartridges tend to be the type of people who don't mind tinkering with a rifle (that just is my take). While they are at it, they could give us an affordable 86/71 action chambered in 33 Win, 348 Win, and the 45-70 Govt. Marlin (Remington) would be wondering what hit them.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:
runfiverun wrote:somebody needs to tell rossi there's other calibers out there that work in the 92 platform
The original '92 cartridges would be real nice; 32-20, 38-40, and the 44-40 Win. That's where I'm at with the Rio Grande. If Rossi would add the 32 Win Spl and 38-55 Win between the 30-30 Win and the 45-70 Govt., I believe they would turn a lot of heads. The good for them would be that customers that are interested in these cartridges tend to be the type of people who don't mind tinkering with a rifle (that just is my take). While they are at it, they could give us an affordable 86/71 action chambered in 33 Win, 348 Win, and the 45-70 Govt. Marlin (Remington) would be wondering what hit them.
The choices are rather limited in the 86/71 department for sure:

1) Japchester (new Winchester) - expensive and safetied up the ying yang with a complicated rebounding hammer linkage that I can't see holding up over the long haul.

2) Pedersoli - an unadulterated "real" 86/71 but too expensive

3) Chiappa - makes both a walnut & synthetic 86/71 - very expensive - limited choices on caliber

4) Turnbull - a beautiful rifle but even more expensive than the Italian imports

If Rossi could make a decent 86/71 and keep the safety junk off of it I'd buy one. Hiring a QC inspector so substandard guns don't make it into the shipping boxes does a lot more for shooter safety than adding a redundant hammer lock or firing pin safety to a gun with an already more than adequate half-cock safety. Fewer "lemons" would increase customer confidence in the Rossi brand name which isn't all that great at the present time.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA