Need a large loop lever? Dont make my mistake!

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
wyomingpat

Need a large loop lever? Dont make my mistake!

Post by wyomingpat »

I specifically bough my R92 44mag with a 16" to be a quick acting rifle. I also (thought) I had identified a large loop lever to fit when the gun arrived. I bought one from Steves Gunzs believing it to be a Rossi OEM item. It arrived and there were problems fitting it. I used a stone to catch any rough finish that maybe interfering. Still no luck. I had an exchange with Steves gunz and then compared the lever provided to the original I took out. There were some differences. I then micced both to find that the one I had received was not a Rossi product and was overall 1.2mm THINNER over all. The fork that fits over the ejector rod/spring was too narrow being some .8mm narrower. Steve's Gunz refuse to believe that this should be an issue. I took comparative photos and sent them with the measurements to Rossi. Their comment was that to remove the metal out of the fork to fit would of course compromise the surface hardening and that the whole lever being thinner would be sloppy in the action. Some 3 months later I am trying to get a refund of the $175 I paid for this item unfit for purpose.

Speaking again with Rossi I have just ordered their large loop lever as a "spare part" as used in their tactical R92. Not officially available as an accessory, it is costing just $75 plus postage, less than half what Steve's Gunz charge for an inferior item. It is a bargain. The lesson is beware of 3rd party vendors of parts. They maybe not to manufacturer standards or specifications, and we ALL KNOW what can happen when subject to the pressures in a firearm.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nashville Stage

Re: Need a large loop lever? Dont make my mistake!

Post by Nashville Stage »

Sorry to hear that you're having trouble fitting the new lever. If it makes you feel any better, I doubt that the lever is hardened steel, so removing a little material shouldn't affect it much.

Also, the lever doesn't bear any of the pressure involved with firing. Unlike the toggle-link 1873 design, the 1892 model uses two lugs to lock the bolt into place instead of the lever.
wyomingpat

Post by wyomingpat »

Lever returned 4 months ago for refund not received. Got a genuine one coming from Rossi. The undersize lever from https://store.stevesgunz.com would never have worked reliably if fitted. It would have rattled in the action being substantially thinner. Selling his repro at $175 when the authentic Rossi is only $75 and then failing to refund for a fauty product shows what kind of business he runs. currently waiting on Mastercard to process.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

It is not unusual for aftermarket parts to be priced at more than OEM. Smaller batch runs, higher tooling costs, reverse engineering costs, differences in small shop overhead and sometimes being the only sources.

Getting the OEM part is not always easy. You got one but you had to pick it up as a spare for a different model number and given the response some have gotten from Rossi and the normal state of 'spare parts' they may or may not have in stock I'd say you lucked out.

With regards to the 'reverse engineering...it looks like someone may have screwed up OR that the sample size may have been too small i.e. reverse engineered a .357 and assumed it fits a .44 Mag? or reverse engineered something from 1975 and assumed it was unchanged on current production. One of the problems with aftermarket parts is there is often a choice between 'drop in' fit that may not have enough material vs. making the part oversize and requiring fitting or gunsmith installation vs. some hybrid where you make a drop in part with a fitting feature that requires some alteration during installation. Boyd's finally got around to making stocks for these guns but it appears their version more or less fits the .44/45 guns and the .357 guns are small enough that the Boyd stocks simply don't fit.

Steve's has been a good source of information and parts for these guns (sometimes about the only source.) He has NEVER been exactly an inexpensive source IMO.
wyomingpat

Post by wyomingpat »

It would be nice if he admitted it, took responsibility and refunded what I paid.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

wyomingpat wrote:It would be nice if he admitted it, took responsibility and refunded what I paid.
Agree on that one.

I received the wrong items from Palmetto State about a year ago and returned the shipment for replacement with the correct ones.
The return took two phone calls as the initial return label was addressed TO me rather than to them.

After several months I contacted them again only to find out they still didn't have the correct items, had not ordered the correct items, didn't have any plans on ordering the correct items and were just sitting on my money waiting for me to ask for it back. Couldn't be bothered to send me an e-mail or pick up the phone and call me to tell me they weren't going to fill the order. They did offer me a 10% off code on my next order on items that were not on sale. (Not exactly a replacement for 12 boxes of high dollar bullets I had intended to use loading Beowulf rounds.)

So as you might guess they aren't exactly on the top of my vendor list and I don't exactly recommend them.
rondog
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by rondog »

After all that, you may not like the large loop after all. I had one, couldn't WAIT to trade it for a normal one.
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Gunny268 »

I dunno Rondog, I guess I'm just one of those miscreants who prefers the larger 3/4 sized loop.
IMG_0521.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

1.75X or 2.5X ?

I like the standard loop most of the time.
I have been convinced, about a year ago, that the larger loop on a Marlin may work better than the standard one as it puts the leverage at a different point and makes breaking the action easier.

Haven't had the same experience with the Winchester designs so far.
wyomingpat

Post by wyomingpat »

Cant use the standard lever easily with winter gloves was the issue.