Barrel band bolt repair and sling swivel installation video

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
JSHRAM

Barrel band bolt repair and sling swivel installation video

Post by JSHRAM »

Here's my "how to" video for repair of a broken barrel band (rear) bolt and installation of a sling swivel on that bolt.

Lever Action barrel band broken bolt repair and sling swivel installation
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Barrel band bolt repair and sling swivel installation vi

Post by Archer »

Thanks for the video. Not bad.
Looking at it from my point of view...
I can't help but think a metallic bushing might be longer lasting than the nylon flange bushing. Since the bushing is longer than the swivel body it is going to be under compression that distorts it and over time it may become cracked and be either loose or bind up. Counter to that the use of nylon for the bushing may prevent any metal on metal squeaking and nylon is self lubricating on the bolt shaft. I know pan head hex drive bolts are available but they aren't always easy to get. That might cut your profile down by half of the head height on that hex bolt and get you a tiny bit more room in the home defense locker. Might not be worth the trouble, especially now that you've finished the mod.

The original bolt probably failed because the components weren't lined up quite right. Either swelling of the wood from moisture in the air or shrinkage from when it was fitted or maybe slightly sloppy fitting from the start. I am not a huge fan of 6-40 screws, especially when they get that long. Quite often you will find Rossi 92 owners will have problems getting those screws back in place. It seems when assembled at the factory they must have some sort of vise fixture that squeezes the barrel band from the sides while they are putting the screw in because it often will seem too short when reinstalling it.

A reasonably common mod here on the board is to remove the thin web of wood in the handguard between the mag tube and the barrel. It is very thin and can crack, swell or shrink with variations in humidity so it is often cut out when the user takes the stock and handguard off to seal them.

It looks like your fore end has been buffed down a mite. Did you get it that way or did you do a mite of sanding and refinishing on it?
JSHRAM

Re: Barrel band bolt repair and sling swivel installation vi

Post by JSHRAM »

I think the nylon bushing is ok for this use... but it would be easy to find a brass bushing instead, which would indeed be more robust if someone wanted to.

The fore end is totally stock!

Thanks! John