Need urgent help choosing Rossi! / Нужна срочная помощь!

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Need urgent help choosing Rossi! / Нужна срочная помощь!

Post by Archer »

I'm assuming you are looking ONLY at the lever action 92s.

IMO most factory .45 Colt is not that impressive. It is similar to .45 ACP in most loadings in the U.S..
You CAN reload for it and warm it up quite a bit with the right firearm. There are members here who do that.
You CAN get ammo from some specialty shops (Garrett, Buffalo Bore for example) that uses higher pressures and/or heavier bullets. You can look up those companies to see what power levels they offer AND which guns they say those rounds can be used in.
(NOTE1 the .45 Colt Rossi may not feed super heavy bullets because they may exceed max cartridge length for the action.
NOTE2 Availability of higher pressure ammo and/or reloading components may vary where you are.)

IF it is just the 92s I would probably get the .454. IN theory you can STILL shoot .45 Colt through it if it will feed them. IF it won't you might be able to work that out.

IF it is a matter of getting both the rifles on the bottom vs the single rifle on the top...
The 7.62x54R is a much more versatile round with quite a bit more range than any of the pistol caliber carbines. I do not know anything about the legalities, hunting regulations or if that platform will feed soft point hunting ammo but in general that would be pretty close to our .308 Winchester which is a prince of a hunting round.

If it is just a matter that you think the brass frame and octagonal barrel look cool I will agree but I would not recommend hot loading a brass framed gun.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Hmmm No picture of the brass octagon .454? I have never seen either on a Rossi .454 so I can't wait to see this one.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
CKAT

Post by CKAT »

Archer wrote:I'm assuming you are looking ONLY at the lever action 92s.

IMO most factory .45 Colt is not that impressive. It is similar to .45 ACP in most loadings in the U.S..
You CAN reload for it and warm it up quite a bit with the right firearm. There are members here who do that.
You CAN get ammo from some specialty shops (Garrett, Buffalo Bore for example) that uses higher pressures and/or heavier bullets. You can look up those companies to see what power levels they offer AND which guns they say those rounds can be used in.
(NOTE1 the .45 Colt Rossi may not feed super heavy bullets because they may exceed max cartridge length for the action.
NOTE2 Availability of higher pressure ammo and/or reloading components may vary where you are.)

IF it is just the 92s I would probably get the .454. IN theory you can STILL shoot .45 Colt through it if it will feed them. IF it won't you might be able to work that out.

IF it is a matter of getting both the rifles on the bottom vs the single rifle on the top...
The 7.62x54R is a much more versatile round with quite a bit more range than any of the pistol caliber carbines. I do not know anything about the legalities, hunting regulations or if that platform will feed soft point hunting ammo but in general that would be pretty close to our .308 Winchester which is a prince of a hunting round.

If it is just a matter that you think the brass frame and octagonal barrel look cool I will agree but I would not recommend hot loading a brass framed gun.
Learned to make quotes in your forum))
In the photo, only Rossi is interested in and photos from sellers)
Cartridges, unfortunately, there is no way to buy, because of the sanctions we do not carry them, and those that remained are sold with a huge margin, for this only with their own hands)
Well, here I have the torment of choice, between I really like the look and want more power)
I take your advice that you should not let powerful cartridges out of brass)
But in general, are Rossi rifles reliable?
Specifically, 454 in stainless steel?
____________________________________________________________________________________________
Научился делать цитаты у вас на форуме))
На фото только Росси интересуют и фото от продавцов)
Патроны, к сожалению, купить возможности нет, так как из за санкций нам их не возят, а те что остались продаются с громадной наценкой, по этому только своими руками)
Ну вот и у меня муки выбора, между очень нравится внешне и хочется большей мощности)
Прислушаюсь к Вашему совету, что не стоит мощные патроны пускать из латуни)
А в целом, винтовки Росси надежные?
Конкретно 454 в нержавейке?
CKAT

Post by CKAT »

GasGuzzler wrote:Hmmm No picture of the brass octagon .454? I have never seen either on a Rossi .454 so I can't wait to see this one.
I registered on the forum to get an answer to your question, since these rifles are very rare in our country and they are represented in a larger volume in your country, and accordingly you can get more information)
But since you also had such a question, it means they do not exist in nature as such)
______________________________________________________________________________________________
Я на форуме зарегистрировался что бы бы получить ответ на Ваш вопрос, так как у нас эти винтовки большая редкость и у вас в стране они представлены в большем объеме, а соответственно и информации у вас подчерпнуть можно больше)
Но раз у Вас тоже возник такой вопрос, то значит их нет в природе как таковых)
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

CKAT wrote:Thank you all for the answers)
Another question, what kind of game can I hunt with a 45 factory cartridge? or is it just for entertaining shooting?
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Всем спасибо за ответы)
Еще вопрос, на какую дичь возможно охотиться с 45 заводским патроном? или это только для развлекательной стрельбы?
As was stated, 45 Colt is usually uploaded to higher pressures with hard cast bullets for hunting. But it depends on what you hunt. A large, slow, soft bullet is quite sufficient for smaller game at carbine ranges. It just makes a big hole and potentially damages meat and fur. I wouldn’t use it for boar, but I would for any game animal in the 10 - 40 pound range. Anything you would generally approach with a 22 MAG can be taken with medium loadings of 45 Colt, 45 ACP or 44 Spl.
stevep1954

Post by stevep1954 »

there is a nice 454 casull on GB right now.
nvbirdman

Post by nvbirdman »

Is that brass frame really brass, or is it brass plated? You can check it with a magnet.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

CKAT,

Regarding the Rossi 92 in particular...
The 1892 is generally a reliable design and Rossi has been building them for some time. They CAN build a good gun and they CAN screw up. There is a pre purchase check out list somewhere on this forum that gives a list of items to check out that is a good guideline for ANY firearm purchase. I have 3 Rossi rifles that I've had no problems with. I would buy another one or two if I find them at the right price. I MIGHT even buy one I suspected of having problems that I thought I could fix. There are a number of threads on this forum that detail various problems members have had with guns produced over the course of 30-40 years and how they fixed most of them.

Most issues involve feeding problems, a need to clean cosmoline like wax out of the action, a need to replace a plastic magazine follower swollen by age and pressure, possible need to lighten up some of the springs (sometimes the springs are ok).

Again, my three work and I've done nothing to them so far. I do intent to replace the mag followers with metal ones. I do plan on refinishing the wood. I just haven't got around to it at this time.

I would check ANY firearm purchase over with a fine toothed comb. I NEVER turn down a chance to test fire one OR to give one a pre purchase inspection. Even then I may miss something from time to time but quite often I catch something that makes me turn down the offering OR something that makes me offer less than I might at first glance.
CKAT

Post by CKAT »

Archer wrote:CKAT,

Regarding the Rossi 92 in particular...
The 1892 is generally a reliable design and Rossi has been building them for some time. They CAN build a good gun and they CAN screw up. There is a pre purchase check out list somewhere on this forum that gives a list of items to check out that is a good guideline for ANY firearm purchase. I have 3 Rossi rifles that I've had no problems with. I would buy another one or two if I find them at the right price. I MIGHT even buy one I suspected of having problems that I thought I could fix. There are a number of threads on this forum that detail various problems members have had with guns produced over the course of 30-40 years and how they fixed most of them.

Most issues involve feeding problems, a need to clean cosmoline like wax out of the action, a need to replace a plastic magazine follower swollen by age and pressure, possible need to lighten up some of the springs (sometimes the springs are ok).

Again, my three work and I've done nothing to them so far. I do intent to replace the mag followers with metal ones. I do plan on refinishing the wood. I just haven't got around to it at this time.

I would check ANY firearm purchase over with a fine toothed comb. I NEVER turn down a chance to test fire one OR to give one a pre purchase inspection. Even then I may miss something from time to time but quite often I catch something that makes me turn down the offering OR something that makes me offer less than I might at first glance.
I apologize that I did not go for a long time, too much work because of kronovirus = /
I decided to take an octagonal .45 hp with a conventional receiver.
But I noticed that the barrel is noticeably thinner than a round barrel in the area of the chamber, but beauty always requires sacrifice ....
Tell me about the maximum speed of bullets, which I can count on the weight of bullets 255 gran and 300 gran?
By the way, a very interesting article http://rvbprecision.com/rouble/rossi-18 ... rsion.html I advise you to read, maybe someone did not see)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Извиняюсь, что долго не заходил, слишком много работы из за кроновируса=/
Решил взять восьмигранный в .45 лс с обычной ствольной коробкой.
Но обратил внимание, что ствол заметно тоньше круглого ствола в районе патронника, но красота всегда требует жертв....
Подскажите на максимальную скорость пуль, на которую я могу расчитывать при весе пуль 255 гранн и 300 гранн?
Кстати, очень интересная статья http://rvbprecision.com/shooting/rossi- ... rsion.html советую ознакомиться, авось кто и не видел)
CKAT

Post by CKAT »

nvbirdman wrote:Is that brass frame really brass, or is it brass plated? You can check it with a magnet.
Really brass
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Действительно латунная