New Rossi 92 slicked up

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Fran49829

New Rossi 92 slicked up

Post by Fran49829 »

I do want to start out by saying my new Rossi 92 functioned perfectly from the factory. That said I seem to have to fiddle with every new gun I get, Not sure what that's called. Anyway, I thinned out the loading gate spring, filed down the inside edges of the loading gate hole, and installed a Palo Verde spring kit. I did clip off some coils from the carrier spring. The results are truly amazing and I highly recommend doing this. This rifle carries and handles with ease. One of my favorite rifles.
Fran
stevep1954

Re: New Rossi 92 slicked up

Post by stevep1954 »

what barrel length did you go with? doesn't really matter, you will soon have one of each length, caliber and steel type.........
Fran49829

Post by Fran49829 »

I went with the 20" for a longer sight radius. It is a 357 and I"m hoping with alot of practice I will be able to kill a groundhog at 25 yds and a deer at 50 yards, offhand. This rifle handles great, maybe as great as my Browning auto 22. I also own a Marlin 336Y 30-30, and a Henry Big Boy 44 mag. The Rossi is slimmer and trimmer and looks like a cowboy gun.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

It should be capable of killing a golf ball at 25 yards.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
The Spaniard

Post by The Spaniard »

So Fran please tell me what went into "thinning out the loading gate spring". I'm interested in lightening mine up. Does anyone else have thoughts on this. I have a new .357 carbine and the loading gate is very hard to feed rounds through. I had the rifle apart today and cleaned it and greased it. No obstructions and it operates smoothly, but stiffer than it needs to be. Also the magazine will take 38's with various bullets, but in .357 it's one round in the magazine and the second is a no go.
The bullet that stops is 125 gr. semi jacketed hp. Lead tip comes out chewed up. Anybody have any thoughts on that?
Put one foot in front of the other and don't stop till you get to where you're goin.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

I think narrowing is a better term. The Steve’s Gunz video has advice on narrowing or hour-glassing the loading gate spring. Worked for me on a 44.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

The Spaniard wrote:So Fran please tell me what went into "thinning out the loading gate spring". I'm interested in lightening mine up. Does anyone else have thoughts on this. I have a new .357 carbine and the loading gate is very hard to feed rounds through. I had the rifle apart today and cleaned it and greased it. No obstructions and it operates smoothly, but stiffer than it needs to be. Also the magazine will take 38's with various bullets, but in .357 it's one round in the magazine and the second is a no go.
The bullet that stops is 125 gr. semi jacketed hp. Lead tip comes out chewed up. Anybody have any thoughts on that?
One of the members noted he left a shell half pencil in the loading gate for a while and it became easier to work without modifying the spring.

As for the problem with 125 grain .357,
What bullet shape is the 125 grain?
Have you tried 140 and 158 grain loads in that caliber or different shaped bullets?

Have you checked where the bullet damage is happening and checked inside the action for rough or sharp edges in that area? For example IF it is damaged at 9 o'clock looking from the rear of the cartridge is the mag tube smooth on the LHS looking from the back of the gun?

With the action open but the lifter down (lever not 'popped' down and forward that last little bit) have you dropped one of the rounds that you are having problems with on the lifter and checked the position it would be in coming through the loading gate to see if you can spot anything it might be hanging up on?
Remember as it comes through the loading gate it is going to be angled a little to the left and should bounce off that side, straightening out into the mag tube as it is pushed forward of the gate.
Fran49829

Post by Fran49829 »

Remove the loading gate spring, place on piece of wood with gate down, file the spring down on the flat, not hour glass, this will thin the spring making it easier to insert rounds. I have done this 3 times and need to file it down even more.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I currently have 3 Rossi 92s, 2 Marlin and at least 4 Winchesters that are gate loaded none of which have had the gate springs modified. Over the years I've probably shot another half dozen or more. One of these days I'm going to run into one of these guns with an extra heavy gate spring where that's the only reason getting rounds in the gun is difficult enough that I notice the spring OR I'm going to run into one that's been modified to be so easy I'll break down and modify all of mine.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

My Marlin 1895 45/70 had a real stiff gate when I first got it. I was going to tear it down and file, but one of the guys on the Marlin Facebook list suggested leaving a round half way in. He said may a week or more. I left a snap cap in for about ten days and it's much nicer now. Still need to do something about the sharp edges.

Stay well, be safe and make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image