Barrel discoloration

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Hounddawg63

Barrel discoloration

Post by Hounddawg63 »

I have a R92 .44mag with 20 inch round blued barrel that I recently bought. The rifle was new in the box still in the plastic, but according to the serial number it was made in 2017. I noticed that the barrel was discolored around the rear band. It wasn't rust so I don't know if it was from being boxed up for such a long time or not. I attempted to take the forearm off to clean under the barrel and broke the rear band screw. I had to drill the screw out and I ordered me two more. I finally got the forearm and mag tube off. Is there anything I can do to make the barrel look a little better without reblueing it? The barrel did have a small spot of rust on the underside. Is there anything else that you would recommend that I do while I have it apart? I thought about refinishing the stock and smoothing up the action. I noticed that some people have been removing the wood between the barrel and mag tube. Is this something that makes a difference? Any other recommendations to do or look for as this is my first Rossi. Thanks!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Barrel discoloration

Post by Ranch Dog »

I'm surprised to hear about the rust as these rifles are generally packed with grease. It's hard to say what I would do with the spot. I would probably try to cold blue it after it was cleaned up, and if that didn't work, just leave it. I don't think these rifles have a value point where you can wreck the potential. They are tools that happen to be rifles.

I've been around leverguns all my life. I don't want the forearm or band to apply pressure to the barrel as it is an accuracy killer. To that end, I do whatever it takes to relieve the pressure. With all of my Rossi's, that was a lot of fitting and trimming. The "judge" of the fit is how easily the band slips over barrel and forearm, and if the band screw can pass through all to the other side. All my rifles had been very much muscled at the factory to complete that fit.
Michael
Hounddawg63

Post by Hounddawg63 »

Ranch Dog wrote:I'm surprised to hear about the rust as these rifles are generally packed with grease. It's hard to say what I would do with the spot. I would probably try to cold blue it after it was cleaned up, and if that didn't work, just leave it. I don't think these rifles have a value point where you can wreck the potential. They are tools that happen to be rifles.

I've been around leverguns all my life. I don't want the forearm or band to apply pressure to the barrel as it is an accuracy killer. To that end, I do whatever it takes to relieve the pressure. With all of my Rossi's, that was a lot of fitting and trimming. The "judge" of the fit is how easily the band slips over barrel and forearm, and if the band screw can pass through all to the other side. All my rifles had been very much muscled at the factory to complete that fit.
thanks ranch dog for the reply! The rifle had plenty of grease on it. There was just a small spot of surface rust on the underside of the barrel that for the most part wiped off. I agree with you about these rifles being tools. That is one reason I bought this rifle. The price was cheap, it was light weight and it was nothing fancy. I bought it to use bear hunting. If anyone has followed a pack of hounds here in the Appalachian mountains going through Laurel thickets and up and down steep rocky areas, you know you might get your gun scuffed up sometimes. I do want to do what I can to make it as accurate and dependable as I can. Like getting a good fit with the forearm and barrel band and maybe a more durable or weather proof finish on the stock. I plan on going through the action and smoothing it up some. One other thing I forgot to mention was the mag tube had a small hole in it where the relief was cut in it for the band screw. Is this anything to be concerned with?
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Use automatic transmission fluid on a copper Chore Boy to remove rust then clean the area with alcohol then acetone before heating with a hair dryer then applying a small amount of cold blue. Wipe with a baking soda/water soup, rinse, then oil.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Or instead of oil apply a coat of car wax.