Bought an old Rossi 92 ... Have a few questions

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
4given

Bought an old Rossi 92 ... Have a few questions

Post by 4given »

It's an Amadeo Rossi Made in Brazil, imported by Interarms and chambered in 44 Magnum. I don't know when it was made. Maybe the 1980's? That is my first question, how do you date one of these babies?

It's in real good condition and the action is still nice and tight. You can tell it has not been broken in yet. I love the way it looks with the darker wood and light handling marks.

The only thing I don't like are the sights. I'll need to find something better. If The gun shoots well enough I will change out the sights and see about slicking up the action a bit. I have read else were that the older Rossi 92's have a bigger sight dovetails. Does anyone make sights that will fit? Maybe something more like these:

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/s ... ign=Itwine

I notice that the front sight is not dovetailed but a part of the barrel band so I can't easily replace the front sight with a Marbels or something like it. Can I get a new barrel band with the proper dovetail cut in it or is my only option to have machine work done on my existing sight?

Any comments, advice and feed back would be appreciated! Thanks!

Anyway here are a few pics

Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Bought an old Rossi 92 ... Have a few questions

Post by Archer »

I think there is extremely limited (near zero) information out there concerning serial numbers for the Armadeo Rossi production dates vs. serial numbers.

As for changing sights, you may try contacting the manufacturer to see if the sight will work with your firearm or if it can be obtained with an oversized dovetail that can be hand fitted to your specific dovetail dimensions.

http://www.skinnersights.com/rossi_firearms_23.html
claims that their sights are oversized since Rossi dovetails are typically oversized.

Of course once you start filing or sanding on it then it is yours and it is easier to remove material than to add material. Shims are sometimes an option as well.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

About the only date info you may find is Julian dates stamped on interior parts. Gasguzzler can tell you a bit more about those.

I am afraid that if you want to change sights you only option is going to be machine work in one form or another. If the tang is drilled and tapped you might consider a Marble tang site. I have them on my two Rossi 92s and I' pleased with them.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

You have the "older" style so you have the better (IMO) rear sight. You can have your front band welded and modified to match your needs or dovetail the barrel and install a sight of your choice. I think only the 24" rifles were D/T for a tang sight back when this one was made. Serial numbers do not correspond to dates. My .357 from this era has 1987 dates stamped on the internals. Shoot it before you condemn the sights.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
4given

Post by 4given »

I ordered a Skinner peep sight for the rifle and it should arrive tommorw. I will install it then go sight it in with the stock front sight to get an idea if it is the right height. I think I will then try and attach a brass or colored shotgun bead to it using JB weld or something like it.