Current Rossi Production Quality

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
North Idaho Shooter

Current Rossi Production Quality

Post by North Idaho Shooter »

I'm considering a new production Rossi 92 in 44 Mag with a 16" barrel. I have several older Rossi's, and only had minor issues with one of them.

I was just wondering if anyone has any information on the current production Rossi 92's. I know there have been reports of spotty quality in the past, and was just wondering if their quality has improved.

Thanks in advance for any info.
rondog
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Current Rossi Production Quality

Post by rondog »

Curious myself. I'm considering a new 24" octagonal .44 in blued finish.
zippy
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by zippy »

Look through the 92 section of this forum to see feedback from current owners of new CBC rollmark production. The thread that most concerned me was the poor bolt/lug machining seen on a variety of new 92s.
New CBC on left, previous Braztech on right.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Karma for buying a stainless lever :)

I would not accept the one on the left but I don't buy new for 6846514 reasons.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

North Idaho Shooter wrote:I'm considering a new production Rossi 92 in 44 Mag with a 16" barrel. I have several older Rossi's, and only had minor issues with one of them.

I was just wondering if anyone has any information on the current production Rossi 92's. I know there have been reports of spotty quality in the past, and was just wondering if their quality has improved.

Thanks in advance for any info.
I purchased a new 20" blued in .357 a couple months ago, over all its nicer than the 3 older Rossi's that I have. I'm picking up the same model in 44mag flavor tomorrow, it's just as nice as the new .357. The action was a little gritty but I'm not worried about that.
rjk454bfr

Post by rjk454bfr »

Rifle in the left photo - unacceptable.

There is no legitimate excuse for that. I have seen better quality on a die cast cap gun. I guess Rossi figures there are enough people out there who wouldn't know any better. Cringe worthy.

Needless to say, be prepared to refuse the rifle at your friendly neighborhood FFL.

Having said that: I still want one. In 454 Casull. Blued - not stainless. I'm going to have to wait a while for this one. In the meantime, I've decided on the 44 magnum R92 20" barrel. Just because.

If you can get one that just needs a little bit of easy work, the rifles are still a relatively great value. 1892s are awesome.
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

rjk454bfr wrote:
If you can get one that just needs a little bit of easy work, the rifles are still a relatively great value. 1892s are awesome.
I agree, the R92s are now easy to find and well worth it. I purchased a new Miroku Winchester 92 short rifle in 45colt a year ago. I had to send it back because of a poor fitted forend stock. It was fixed in about 2 weeks and cost me zero.
It's well worth the extra $400,00. The problem with the Winchester is they're hard to find. It seems like they only make one model and caliber at a time, when those are gone, you'll have to wait a long time until they come back in stock or pay a huge premium.
I just wish CBC would spend a little bit more time on QA. They wood on these new CBC guns are fitted a little better and look a LOT better. ..
North Idaho Shooter

Post by North Idaho Shooter »

UPDATE:

I decided to go ahead and order in a blued R92 in 44 Magnum with a 16" barrel. Finish, wood to metal fit, and the finish on the wood itself is very good. The action cycles smoothly, and (using snap caps), there appears to be no feeding issues with it. Locking lugs could be a little better, as there is a minor (several thousandths-maybe .005), but not enough to cause great concern. As it was special ordered, I own it. Overall, well pleased with it. Looking forward to getting it out to the range, maybe next week.