Need help, R92 lever and action stuck in battery

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Need help, R92 lever and action stuck in battery

Post by Archer »

IDK, but it seems a heck of a shame to have to destroy the expensive parts to save the nickel and dime stuff.

Of course with the fact that Rossi has such an ample supply of parts available for us all the time ANY parts can be worth a mint.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I've been pondering this for 24 hours before I answered, kind of like I would do at the bench. In that, you have some experience with the 92 and have not found the key to open it, and I would try to knock it open.

I would cut a hardwood dowel only long enough to see the bolt exit with the dowel down the barrel. The dowel should be as large in diameter as possible. I would also want to place a spent 357 case over the dowel to protect it from splitting. Dowels are available at just about any hardware store, take that empty case with you to size it. While I'm doing that, I would leave the rife saturated in good, slick gun oil. I have a huge rubber mallet. I would put the buttstock back on and secure it, and then pop the hell out of it. If it is a pin, maybe it will give way. The softer parts will give way first.

Cutting it open would be a last resort.
Michael
Nashville Stage

Post by Nashville Stage »

Put.
The grinder.
Down.

:)

Have you tried looking at the insides using a bore scope?
Nashville Stage

peterthomas wrote:The locking lugs will not lower but they will go slightly higher.
Some more thoughts:

- Are the locking lugs still in place? I see mentions about beating a rod down the bore, but I don't see how that would do anything if the lugs are still locking the bolt.

- Use your phone and put some video on YouTube / Vimeo / etc of the problem. Show us what it looks like when the parts are cycled as far as they will travel. At least post some good quality close-up photos.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Nashville Stage wrote:
peterthomas wrote:The locking lugs will not lower but they will go slightly higher.
Some more thoughts:

- Are the locking lugs still in place? I see mentions about beating a rod down the bore, but I don't see how that would do anything if the lugs are still locking the bolt.
Yep, good point. If the locking bolts are up, nothing is going anywhere. I've split some shorter lengths of large diameter dowels into heavy popsicle sticks, I would try to drive them down. Find something other than metal to work against the parts.
Michael
Nashville Stage

Hey Steve, I'm curious if you've had any luck with the rifle yet.
stevep1954

Post by stevep1954 »

that one stumped me. instead of cutting it apart i decided to sell it to another guy in town who is trying to get it apart. i have not heard anything from him either way.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Let us know if you find out what happens...