Stock refinishing and rear barrel band

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
arkie

Stock refinishing and rear barrel band

Post by arkie »

Took the stock off my 2013 vintage R92 and applied several coats of Watco Danish oil over the factory stain as others have described here and it turned out pretty good. Pretty plain piece of wood but it did bring up a little grain and is a major upgrade from what the factory did. Now then that front band screw was a major pain to get back in.Took two days off and on and I tried every trick ya can think of before I got that sucker to catch a thread and screw in. Won't be very eager to take one of those out again and I don't see how a manufacturer could do such a crappy job of fitting something.
ddj

Re: Stock refinishing and rear barrel band

Post by ddj »

The guy that does at the factory has to be some kind of handy capable character. I would like to know his secrets
arkie

Post by arkie »

I don't think I'd care for that job. Figure I'd be PO'D all the time. They must have trash cans full of screwed up rear bands and screws.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I still need to get to this.
I've got a can of Watco Dark Walnut stain sitting on the desk next to the computer in fact...
arkie wrote:I don't think I'd care for that job. Figure I'd be PO'D all the time. They must have trash cans full of screwed up rear bands and screws.
Once you do twenty or forty of them and you've got a collection of oddball C clamps, a bench vise and so forth it probably isn't that hard. Of course figuring out how to do it right in the first place should have been easier than that.
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

I'd like to get some dark stain into my two Rossi's but they just don't want to color up. They sure do use some odd ball wood over there.
Sarge
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Sarge »

I got lucky on my recently-refinished 20" 45 Colt. Not only does it shoot great and run slick, the band screw went back into place as if had been made by a reputable gun manufacturer! It was much, much worse on two other R92's I've had apart.
rondog
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by rondog »

golfish wrote:I'd like to get some dark stain into my two Rossi's but they just don't want to color up. They sure do use some odd ball wood over there.
I've read that it might be tabebuia wood.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Rubberwood
Michael
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Ranch Dog wrote:Rubberwood
I've heard that before, but the Wikipedia article makes me wonder.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

At one time, I was convinced that Rossi stocks were Ipe. Tabebuia is a variety of Ipe. But I think Ipe/Tabebuia is more dense. I'm with RD . . . rubberwood. Although, it's kinda like date of manufacture . . . I don't think I really care anymore. If you really want to know what your Rossi stock is made of, you can buy one from Boyds.