Possible Rossi/Puma trade .357 16"

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: Possible Rossi/Puma trade .357 16"

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Nice find

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Sarge
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Sarge »

I really like that; it has plenty of character. If I ever get another 357 it'll be an older one like yours,
rondog
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by rondog »

Very nice, congrats!!! I like it.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

1. Values are regional. Here, a Puma in 16" with no blue is worth about $300.

2. How is parts availability with these? - pretty bad. The new ones that are supported are tough to service. The current owners and operators of Rossi care 0% about anything related to the older models. How well do they hold up? Usually they hold up well. The older models are built better in many ways.

3. Common and usually can be fixed with no parts.

4. Just about every difference between an old model and the newer models favors the older models with exception of the front site/band issue. The newer ones have a poorer rear sight and the front site, although separate from the band, has a weirdo non-standard dovetail. Your OEM front site should be fine.

5. A 1892 based rifle is a fair bit more complicated to assemble than a 336 based rifle due to the double vs single locking lugs. It's not rocket science though.

6. I don't favor 16" lever guns and I would not use a .357 for 100+ yards personally but it's capable. The .30-30 is probably the most versatile rifle cartridge and could meet your needs just as well or better. .30-30 is the .357 of rifle cartridges.

The two cartridges cost about the same to shoot if you cast your own bullets.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
CBennett

Post by CBennett »

GasGuzzler wrote:1. Values are regional. Here, a Puma in 16" with no blue is worth about $300.

2. How is parts availability with these? - pretty bad. The new ones that are supported are tough to service. The current owners and operators of Rossi care 0% about anything related to the older models. How well do they hold up? Usually they hold up well. The older models are built better in many ways.

3. Common and usually can be fixed with no parts.

4. Just about every difference between an old model and the newer models favors the older models with exception of the front site/band issue. The newer ones have a poorer rear sight and the front site, although separate from the band, has a weirdo non-standard dovetail. Your OEM front site should be fine.

5. A 1892 based rifle is a fair bit more complicated to assemble than a 336 based rifle due to the double vs single locking lugs. It's not rocket science though.

6. I don't favor 16" lever guns and I would not use a .357 for 100+ yards personally but it's capable. The .30-30 is probably the most versatile rifle cartridge and could meet your needs just as well or better. .30-30 is the .357 of rifle cartridges.

The two cartridges cost about the same to shoot if you cast your own bullets.
ty so much I have decided that this will be a plinking/fun/ Coyote gun and my friend has a .257 Roberts he says I can use for deer any time I want to..says he keeps it sighted in every year as a "loaner" for the kids hunting program he helps run and its taken many deer ..so that is solved :) . I can do(assemble/disassemble) M1 Garand which also isn't rocket science but IS a PITA...i have to use the book to get it apart...well more back together right lol....luckily there seem to be plenty of youtube videos for this....

Value wise he won but only slightly say $50 or less..

The sights seem ok if they shoot to POA I will just use them for now...I was expecting buckhorn....I think what id describe these as is AK47/74 like...smaller sight picture but not unusable.

Now I just need to figure out why it wont cycle .38's(which I have a ton on on hand) OR buy some more .357's lol as all I have of those is mostly new SD/HD style ammo.

I think one of my first projects will be to try to refinish the stock forearm the stock under the factory finish seems to have some semi decent grain to it
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Mazeltov! The Williams receiver sight requires drilling & tapping the receiver, and it might fight with the saddle ring and the Puma badge. I have a Marbles tang sight, and was pleasantly surprised by its toughness. It’s expensive, and requires a second tapped hole. It will undoubtedly work with your front sight, and will maximize your sight radius.
Sarge
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Sarge »

Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I own both .30-30s and .357 Mag/.38 Sp so I'll give some flack to the analysis between the two.
As a caliber just about anything the .357 will do in a lever the .30-30 will do as well or better.
Even the blunt nosed .30-30 bullets are a bit more aerodynamic than most for the .357 and velocities are typically a few hundred FPS higher. FTX polymer pointy bullets are available in for both .30-30 and for .357 but reviews are rather mixed as to the effect on game. I think Ranch Dog has mentioned seeing less than stellar results with them. .30-30 is adequate for most eastern game hunting where I grew up as most woodland sight distances are much less than 100 yards.

Factory ammo in .357 Mag (or .38 SP) is quite a bit less expensive than .30-30.
.30-30 kicks harder than .357 Mag.
Thus IMO the .357 is a better round for plinking, target shooting, training novices and just plain fun.

I have several .357 handguns and ONE .357 rifle.
I have several .30-30 lever actions and zero handguns in that caliber.
I have several .44 Mag rifles and several .44 Mag handguns.

I may be in the market for another .357 rifle but it would be for the plinking nitch.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

At risk of digging myself a deeper hole, I didn't mean to make a comparison between 30-30 and 357. What I was trying to say was that the 30-30 is mediocre as rifle rounds go, and the 357 would be quite sufficient for CBennet's intended use. Especially now that he has access to a 257 Roberts for white tails.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I can offer my experience from the hunter's side, the 357 Mag is my least favorite of all my leverguns. I have lost more hogs with it that all the other levergun pistol cartridges combined. IMHO, the 32-20 Win, has been more effective on feral hogs and whitetails than the 357 Mag.

95% of my shooting is at 70-yard; at 11:00 last night, I killed my 1,217th hog on my place (counting them for 15 years). The #1 rule I have is that I don't use the 357 Mag at night because the shot placement is critical. At night, typically, you are shooting at a two vs. three-dimensional target, it lacks depth, and that makes for error.

My experience has been with cast bullets with a meplat of at least 72%, using loads at PMax. Most of my killing has been with a 175-grain bullet specifically designed for a rifle chamber, but I increased it to a 190-grain bullet. That made a noticeable difference in the killing authority observed, but still nowhere near the 44 Mag. I shoot my 45 Colt at 44 Mag pressures; there is no difference in killing power.

I shot a doe at 125-yards with the 357 and the 175-grain bullet. At the shot, she turned and walked away. I remember seeing the slight "puff" of hair over her heart, and I knew that this was too far. She walked about 25, curled up under a tree, and died.

So, I use a 190-grain bullet with the 357 Mag, but it remains my least favorite. Remember, I speaking as purely a hunter, a hunter that hunts year-round. I do probably shoot more than a typical, run of the mill, range shooter (none of us here are probably "run of the mill"). In order to use that 190-grain bullet, I must use 38 Spl brass. The cartridges are loaded to 357 Mag pressures.

Michael