Possible Rossi/Puma trade .357 16"

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
CBennett

Possible Rossi/Puma trade .357 16"

Post by CBennett »

Ok guys I registered here because im SERIOUSLY considering getting my first lever action. I have a meet to do a possible trade in a couple days. the 2 im considering are a 1965 Western Auto Revelation 200(Marlin 336????) or the one I would like to discuss here a older Rossi/Puma 16" in .357. the barrel is marked interarms Alexandria VA model 92 SRS and it has the Puma logo on the side saddle ring model

Ok my numerous questions is

1. its a older model it actually doesnt have much bluing left its at a aged Patina...dont know if someone did this on purpose or its just that well used...but it actually looks like a old rifle with a decent aged patina. any approximation of value?? and I mean ball park...i just want to be sure we are close in value for our trade. All i see out there are new ones in the $500 range..

2. How is parts availability with these? and how well do they hold up? I will use it moderately not heavy use or anything.

3 Current owner says it wont feed .38 specials but it will cycle .357 reliably. Says bore is good. the barrel is marked interarms Alexandria VA model 92 SRS and it has the Puma logo on the side

4. I think id like to get some sort of peep sight on it..but the front sight almost looks as if its part of the front barrel band?? how easy(i assume a drill/tap) is it to say add something like a Lyman 66 and a front sight with the brass or ivory bead? is the front sight actually part of the band or is it dovetailed in there???? and the band just goes around it??

5. ive never owned a lever action so how hard are these to work on...id like to try to get it to hopefully feed .38 specials and .357's is this possible/probable(like i said it already feeds .357 well but not .38 specials)

6. I was getting this for a combo of always wanting a .357 magnum lever to match up with my Dan Wesson 6" revolver..and for some possible hunting...and for hunting im looking possible Deer probable Coyote under 125 yards range wise. Would this work(more worried about Coyotes which I know id hunt with it and possible deer but not as likely on the deer) would the 16" work for Coyote and possible deer under 125 yards(preferably 50-100 yards)

7. I know this model is slightly older and for hunting id probably step up to something slightly "hotter" than a "practice round"...id think 110-125 for Coyote hollow points and deer something from Buffalo Bore?? would this action be ok with those??

sorry for so many questions but I just wanted to get this worked out before I do the trade. I know about the Western Auto its essentially the Marlin 336 with cheaper furniture.....but other than seeing stuff about newer Rossis I dont know a lot about them..id PREFER the .357 Rossi/Puma over the Western Auto just because id shoot it more if only for fun/plinking as its cheaper than shooting 30-30...and i know a .357 magnum is plenty for Coyotes..and fun plinking..
ddj

Re: Possible Rossi/Puma trade .357 16"

Post by ddj »

Check out this thread on the feeding 38/357 issues
http://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6570
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

2. It will outlive you.

5. Not hard.

6. Yes.

7. The 92 will handle anything you feed it.
rondog
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by rondog »

Definitely check out my videos that ddj linked to. If the cartridge stop flops around, that's the .38 Special feeding problem and easily fixed.

And IMO, you don't need peep sights. Regular iron sights have been working just fine for a long, long time. It's not a target or combat rifle.
CBennett

Post by CBennett »

I just prefer peeps and would need something other than a buckhorn at a minimum i hate those sights lol. I think maybe a Lyman 66 or skinner or something...of course if try it out first with the "stock" sights but at 50 older eyes and stock sights are getting harder and ive noticed peeps are still good.
CBennett

Post by CBennett »

Well thanks guys I will meet with the guy tomorrow and see which one I like the Rossi or the 30-30 336/marlin/Western Auto...im leaning Rossi..i would just get more use out of it i think. The 30-30 would not get taken out for "plinking/fun" the .357 would :)

I just didnt know enough about the Rossi..I was originally dealing with another guy but the deal fell through and he decided he needed $$ more than another revolver I guess he said. But I also didnt want to be getting in to something that I couldn't get parts for and such...I ran into that with a high Standard .22 pistol and eventually ended up with a S&W Model 41 instead.

only thing so far im hoping is ok/i like or is replaceable is that sight on the front barrel band.... BUT im gonna try it first before i replace it or what ever.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

In the interest of transparency, be advised that there’s nothing I like more than spending other people’s money.

I am a fan of store brands as shooters. One of my favorite guns is an Eastern Arms (Sears) 16 GA SxS (Stevens 311) with a Tenite stock. The stocks can be drab, and the finishes more pedestrian, but the parts are usually interchangeable, and the prices can be a lot lower.

What I’m not a fan of is the 30-30. I may get grief for this, but it’s a very mediocre cartridge. The Hornady leverevolution bullets help, but do you want to have a single bullet choice? So does the Ackerly Improved, a little. After all that, you can have a cartridge that’s almost as good as a 300 Savage. The 357, on the other hand, is a cartridge that’s screaming for a carbine length barrel. And there’s much to be said for the companion carbine in the field. At the ranges you’re thinking about, it’s a fine choice.

I have a Rossi in 44, and I often lust after the old Pumas that I see for sale. The fit & finish is very nice, and the saddle rings are a find. I’m voting for the Puma.
CBennett

Post by CBennett »

HarryAlonzo wrote:In the interest of transparency, be advised that there’s nothing I like more than spending other people’s money.

I am a fan of store brands as shooters. One of my favorite guns is an Eastern Arms (Sears) 16 GA SxS (Stevens 311) with a Tenite stock. The stocks can be drab, and the finishes more pedestrian, but the parts are usually interchangeable, and the prices can be a lot lower.

What I’m not a fan of is the 30-30. I may get grief for this, but it’s a very mediocre cartridge. The Hornady leverevolution bullets help, but do you want to have a single bullet choice? So does the Ackerly Improved, a little. After all that, you can have a cartridge that’s almost as good as a 300 Savage. The 357, on the other hand, is a cartridge that’s screaming for a carbine length barrel. And there’s much to be said for the companion carbine in the field. At the ranges you’re thinking about, it’s a fine choice.

I have a Rossi in 44, and I often lust after the old Pumas that I see for sale. The fit & finish is very nice, and the saddle rings are a find. I’m voting for the Puma.
I got it today...Honestly after looking at it and doing the trade I got back home put it in the safe and immediately took my Nephew to go see that new Joker movie lol...so I havent really done anything with it yet. So im now the proud owner of a Rossi/Interarms/Puma .357 16" saddle ring lever action rifle!
CBennett

Post by CBennett »

Oh and for now I will leave the sights stock as they are not those(nasty) buckhorns and seem to be decent enough for now.
CBennett

Post by CBennett »

leveraction2.jpg
leveraction8.jpg
leveraction7.jpg
leveraction6.jpg
leveraction4.jpg

Not a ton of bluing left in many places, locks up good/solid actions good, barrel/rifling is good stock sights since they are not buckhorns seem "ok" for now. Wood actually has a seemingly decent pattern/grain to it so I may redo that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.