Possible Rossi/Puma trade .357 16"

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Deleted User 327

Re: Possible Rossi/Puma trade .357 16"

Post by Deleted User 327 »

Ranch Dog's experience is telling. I use my .357mag leverguns for fun, not hunting so my needs are different than his. However, I agree that there are plenty of better choices for hunting medium sized game, especially thick skin, heavy boned animals like feral hogs.

As I've also got centerfire leverguns in 45 Colt, 30-30, 300 Savage, and .308, I feel that should I decide to hunt, I'd pick a rifle caliber over a pistol. Likely my Winchester 88 in .308 as I love the lines, the feel, and it's got all the power I'll ever need.
CBennett

Post by CBennett »

I decided im just limiting this rifle to Coyotes and if I hunt anything bigger(deer, as we dont have Hogs around here really)I will use the friends loaner .257 Roberts bolt action. So I's limiting this to Coyote elimination and plinking/fun.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

HarryAlonzo wrote:At risk of digging myself a deeper hole, I didn't mean to make a comparison between 30-30 and 357. What I was trying to say was that the 30-30 is mediocre as rifle rounds go, and the 357 would be quite sufficient for CBennet's intended use. Especially now that he has access to a 257 Roberts for white tails.
I think we are more or less in agreement at this point. It seemed like you were making a more direct comparison of the .357 Mag vs. .30-30. While .30-30 is ok for short range and medium or small game it is at the low end of the .30 caliber rifle rounds. .357 Mag even in a rifle IMO is a step down from that but is potentially a better choice for short range plinking on paper or the like. For game I'd say even shorter range and smaller game than the .30-30.
CBennett

Post by CBennett »

Oh and I did check the cartridge stop or what ever that can be put in wrong and cause misfeeds and .38 specials not to work..it SEEMS installed correctly and has/is springy/tensioned not flopping around like in the 1 video .

actually even though it IS spring loaded it seems to still be letting other shells out and not stopping them..so im guessing on the one 3 part video since mine has tension is sprung that it needs to come over closer to center uggh the worst part because its something im not willing to mess with and file/cut too MUCH or or at the wrong angle to ruin it...always something isn't it lol

i think i may farm this out to a friend thats a gunsmith also..well a acquaintance thats a gunsmith..if shown the video it should be quite easy for someone that knows what they are doing lol.
CBennett

Post by CBennett »

Took the 92 out today for the first time to local indoor range..shot at 25(furthest possible)yards and found a few things..it seems to like 158 grain much more than the 110 grain HP's front site was ok..sight picture is too narrow for my old eyes gonna peep sight the rear. hard to get front and rears lined up in any light but full daylight....any suggestions?? since its a saddle ring 16" will a side mounted peep interfere with the saddle ring? or will say a lyman or williams clear /be out of the way of it?
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

CBennett wrote:Took the 92 out today for the first time to local indoor range..shot at 25(furthest possible)yards and found a few things..it seems to like 158 grain much more than the 110 grain HP's
As predicted in your .357 load topic (that was you recently right?)
CBennett wrote:front site was ok
As expected as well. Good deal.
CBennett wrote:sight picture is too narrow for my old eyes gonna peep sight the rear. hard to get front and rears lined up in any light but full daylight....any suggestions?? since its a saddle ring 16" will a side mounted peep interfere with the saddle ring? or will say a lyman or williams clear /be out of the way of it?
Being 16" doesn't help because the sights are so close together and the rear is in the middle of the gun. There's a million topics here (or almost) but in a nutshell you can install a Skinner sight in place of the old rear sight, use one of the safety replacement sights (if it's a new style R92), or drill and tap for a tang sight. Not sure there's a side mount since the gun is a top eject.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Nashville Stage

Post by Nashville Stage »

I've seen pictures of Wialliams-made rear aperture sights mounted to the receiver. They'll need to have a hole or two drilled & tapped.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CBennett

Post by CBennett »

GasGuzzler wrote:
CBennett wrote:Took the 92 out today for the first time to local indoor range..shot at 25(furthest possible)yards and found a few things..it seems to like 158 grain much more than the 110 grain HP's
As predicted in your .357 load topic (that was you recently right?)
CBennett wrote:front site was ok
As expected as well. Good deal.
CBennett wrote:sight picture is too narrow for my old eyes gonna peep sight the rear. hard to get front and rears lined up in any light but full daylight....any suggestions?? since its a saddle ring 16" will a side mounted peep interfere with the saddle ring? or will say a lyman or williams clear /be out of the way of it?
Being 16" doesn't help because the sights are so close together and the rear is in the middle of the gun. There's a million topics here (or almost) but in a nutshell you can install a Skinner sight in place of the old rear sight, use one of the safety replacement sights (if it's a new style R92), or drill and tap for a tang sight. Not sure there's a side mount since the gun is a top eject.
yup, I figured that the 158 grain would probably be the best also..just testing because i wanted to use the 110 on Coyotes..but i think i may stick to 158 for now..and get some 125 to try and skip the 110 grain.

The Front was ok at least for the most part centered..I dont know if it was me or the gun pulling them slightly left...probably me just getting used to shooting it for the first time..but with the 158 even at 25 they all fell in the X ring of a LE qualification target at 25yds..which i expected it would do....I DO need to get some white paint to make it sharper...i ended up putting some tape(masking that they had on the shooting line) on it for now as a substitute..but that made sight picture much clearer....

That said overall the sights remind me of the AK74 I had and most all stock AK sights..radius really short because of distance and the AK's never had a nice deeper,wider sight picture its very narrow(as you know if you have shot one)

Mine is a older model with the front sight IN the front barrel band and no safety so I may end up having to tang sight it....I was more hoping for a Lyman or side style mount but it seems that may interfere with the saddle ring...

Does anyone have a Lyman/Williams mounted on a 16" with the saddle ring still on it also..id like to see where to get it mounted is why I ask. and which model number did you use and did it requite changing anything..because I have that non dovetailed front sight thats just part of the band that i need to worry about also..